Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning engine over by hand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Sep 12, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 350 has been sitting for along time in the k5. I want to turn the engine over by hand and put some oil down the sparkplug holes. It may be several months till I get it running again as the carb is off. Please advice me how to turn the engine by hand. Or am I best to charger the battery and turn it over? Is it ok to do this with the carb off? What problems could this cause? How do i do this? thanks

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

leave plugs out and put big ass wrench on crank bolt

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Thats the way I did it, well ratchet instead of a wrench. Cant remember the bolt size though...

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

13/16 for me, but i have a bb caddy

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If it has the flexplate on it you can jest grab hold and spin it. Ive done that a few times... tho it is much easier without plugs than with.
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

6. wazzabie

Which direction to turn? Could turning this bolt cause it to tigten and get out of spec? Would you provide me with a picture of where this bolt is?

7. JanneB

JanneB Registered Member Premium Member

I turned my 502 (11 to 1 comp) by the flexplate too, it was hard but it worked. :crazy:

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't usually turn it by the crank bolt in fear of shearing it off in the snout of the crank. I typically turn one of the balancer bolts that hold the pulley on instead. They are 9/16th on most of my engines. If one of those shears off, its far easier to fix than one sheared off in the crank snout (which I have done in the past, NOT FUN!)

9. wazzabie

So maybe I should just charge a battery and turn it over as the safest option. It has no carn on it. Any potential problems with this?

10. Russell

If it has been sitting for a while, I would definitely reccomend that you turn it by hand for at least one full revolution. That way you can feel if there is anything in the engine. You don't wanna hit the starter, and have a piston smack and bent a stuck valve or something. If you don't turn it by one of the balancer bolts, like mentioned above, just crawl underneith, pull the inspection cover for the flexplate, and turn it by hand. On a relatively stock engine, it isn't tough to turn. Just use a pair of work gloves, so the teeth don't bite ya, lol

11. wazzabie

Thanks for the help. The inspection cover/ flexplate... is this this cover silver in color? I would turn the flexplate(has the teath which connects to the starter) which is behind the cover? Should I also remove the starter? Which direction should I turn it or does it matter? Any chance that the engine might start? It has no carb so I hope not.

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

The engine turns clockwise, facing toward the front of the car.

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

with the plugs out there wont be any probs turning by hand unless its froze. dont use starter IMO

14. Russell

Most of the time its grease colored, lol, however, that is probally the color on a newer engine :) It'll be located between the oil pan, and tranny pan. It is held on with two 7/16s (I think) bolts on the tranny, and two on the engine. Make sure you pull straight down, and try your best no to bend it on the starter. Once thats off, you'll see what we mean by the flexplate. It'll be the part that has the round torque converter bolted to it. You will not need to disconnect the torque converter, or starter. You can turn the engine by hand which-ever direction you want, won't make a difference if you are just giving it a turn to feel if anything is stuck in there. The engine will not start with no carb, and the plugs pulled out :)