Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turning pinion up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Nov 2, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Is it possible to cut the axle tubes on a Front D60 and turn the pinion up? What would you do about the spring perch that is part of the pumpkin casting. Mill it flat again and build it back to the correct height. Has anybody done it

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I've heard of it being done, but I think they cut and turn the ends (knuckles) not the tubes.
    I'd like to get some info on this as well. As far as what has to be done, how much, etc. I think I remember readin somewhere there is a company that turns them for $500, you send them the bare housing and they send it back cut and turned. Cant think of the name right now though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Just thought of it...I believe it was here: www.wagonermachine.com If you give them a call, post up the info that you found.
    Good luck/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard of it being done, but I think they cut and turn the ends (knuckles) not the tubes.
    I'd like to get some info on this as well. As far as what has to be done, how much, etc. I think I remember readin somewhere there is a company that turns them for $500, you send them the bare housing and they send it back cut and turned. Cant think of the name right now though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Just thought of it...I believe it was here: www.wagonermachine.com If you give them a call, post up the info that you found.
    Good luck/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EHHHHMMMM
    The issue would be the same, the end result wanted here is having the pinion pointing up so the passenger side pad has to be dealt with and i believe the easy way is to mill and fill.
    The difference is if you turn the knuckles you have to deal with both pads but if you turn the center section you don't need to mess with the driver side pad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

Well, I sent wagoneer machine an email. Will see what they can do.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check with member TONYP, He makes the spring plates with the angle milled into them.........................A lot less hassle then cutting and rewelding the tubes

6. cybrfire

I have alterior motives /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Check with member TONYP, He makes the spring plates with the angle milled into them.........................A lot less hassle then cutting and rewelding the tubes

[/ QUOTE ]

That takes care of the pinion angle, but what about the caster? That is, if we're talking a lot of lift.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That takes care of the pinion angle, but what about the caster? That is, if we're talking a lot of lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it.

You need to keep a good caster angle and at the same time you want to turn the pinion up to line it with the driveshaft so it's the only option.

9. mudjunkie 82

I thought a little positive caster is ok to a certain point?Does anybody know what Degree of caster as far as the maximum you want to have?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought a little positive caster is ok to a certain point?Does anybody know what Degree of caster as far as the maximum you want to have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well just so we don't get confused I am not going to say positive or negative, but the axis laid back is what you want and turning the pinion up will turn it forward.
    Now too much caster and you get a shake and too little will get you wandering all over, it will not track good.
    If it's trail only you could be OK, I mean the guys with full hydro don't have that either.
    But to drive it safely on highway you need the right caster, I believe anything between 2 and 6 degrees is good.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif