Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning Radius.......better turning Right than Left

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Jul 9, 2004.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, something thats really been bothering me lately. I got my truck fixed in a shop. They replaced my power steering pump, ball joints and tie rods. The truck handles much better, but for some reason I can turn on a dime when going right but I have super brutal turning radius going left. What might be the cause of this and if so, would it be something that I would be able to fix easily. If you need more info, just let me know. Hope you guys can help.

Rock on

MarcD

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

check your drag link.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Is you steering wheel straight? iIf so then it may be off by one full turn, just tighten or loosten the draglink until you have it where you want it.

4. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Great for making U-turns. After my lift mine turns sharper to the left I just left it. I kind of like it. unless I need to turn sharply to the right D'oh!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Oh, the irony of your username is killing me! Your draglink needs to be shortened. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey, thanks guys. I ll look into that tommorrow. Drag link eh, seems to me, that the best way to learn about your truck is to have different problems that (always) require a different solution. Members of coloradok5 are again showing why they rock.
    MarcD

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

This happened to me after I swapped to 3/4 ton gear and had the front aligned. The shop just uses the draglink to get the steering wheel to be level when the truck is driving straight. But, they disregarded the fact that when I hooked everything up, the steering box/draglink/sterring wheeel where not properly aligned. I fixed it by:
    1. straightening the wheels (drove straight into the driveway)
    2. diconnected the draglink from steering arm
    3. found the center of the steering box by doing several wheel lock to wheel lock rotations on the steering wheel. I determined the steering wheel was upside down when in the middle.
    4. flipped the rag joint to have a straight steering wheel.
    5.put it back together
    6.made a slight adjustment to draglink to center the steering wheel
    7. checked the steering stops when turning fully left or right- it was centered!!!

hope this helps.