Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turning radius.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Apr 12, 2007.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

well, we all know that crew cab longbeds are not too good at turning. i was wondering if anyone offers and axle, or steering setup, or anyhting, that allows the front wheels to turn more. it seems like the front wheels just dont turn enough. i dont need much more, but just alittle more would be really nice. anyone know of anyhting?

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Switching to crossover steering makes a big difference in your turning radius but the down side is that you have to take your swaybar off.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

How is your draglink adjusted??

Narrow your rearend.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

True.
    But you can just fab in a swaybar.

5. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I did my entire senior design project in college about this. What I created was a cutting brake system for the rear. I used dual handle cutting brakes from CNC Brakes. Did a lot of work to match the right cutting brakes up with my current setup to have optimum brake force (14 bolt with 3/4ton calipers, Dana 60 front with 1ton calipers). With the OffroadDesign twinstick I can throw the rear out of engagement and drive with just the front wheels. The Detroit in my rear axle isn't a factor because there is no torque to the rear axle. If you have a selectable locker in the front, you can leave it open and turn even tighter by just snapping the throttle a bit and the inside tire pulls the truck right around. The cutting brakes also allow you to retain the factory brake system (still brake with all 4 wheels) when you use the pedal.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

offroad, i just whip the a$$ of the k5 around corners if i need to. it's easy, fun, and kicks up lots of crap for others to enjoy :wink1:. i have been known to do the same thing with my 94 xcab on the road, so it's an option for you, even if it's not perfect.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did ord xover and LOVE IT.. my truck never turned so well.. not even with stock suspension and 33's!!!!!

8. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is this for street/trai or trail only? If trail only you could get a front axle off a New Holland tractor. I think you might have to do a little bit of fabrication to make it work though.:rolleyes:

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

or dual front steer duce or mog axles....

rear steer would make it alot better

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what setup do you have now? there are lots of things you can do to improve it but at some point you have to accept that you are driving a truck.

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I plan on doing exactly that to my trazer

12. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

oh, wow. i guess i shoulda given more info. im running a 78 crew cab 1-ton. its got a dana 60 up front, and a 14 bolt with disk brakes int he back. and a 4 inch suspension lift, and 35's. this truck is mainly for towing. i am curently working on trying to get a cummins in it. i might wait for the new cummins' to come out tho. but anyways, this is not really for offroad. its mainly because backing up trailers in the yard at my dads shop is such a hassel. i might go for some crossover. i had that in my old blazer, and i loved it. thanks for the suggestions.

13. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Something else that you can do, that hasn't been mentioned yet. Longfield CV axle shafts. They allow 45 degrees of turning (a good chunk more than stock). Expensive, couple grand for a set, but they're also indestructable. then you adjust your steering stops, make an nessecary changes to steering linkage/arms, and away you go, much better steering angle than stock.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I used to run my crewcab without a front swaybar. You do notice the difference but I don't mind it.

Also have a look at 99+ Superduties. That swaybar looks very simple, and they use crossover steering stock.

I found the diference between a shortbox and longbox crew to be a make/break difference for real world around-town driving. A 150" wheelbase will just squeeze by in most cases, but the 165" often means a 2-point turn.