Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning Radius

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Anyone ever find a way to make their K5 turn sharper? I thought about trimming the knubs on the knuckles so they are shorter and allow more movement but I am afraid of having them turn to far and put too much stress on the u-joint.

ANyone have ideas? The newer straight axle equipped vehicles seem to turn so much nicer and sharper.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Run 31's and stock 15x7's... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could ask that question to 1 FN HI K5 in a month or so /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Emmettology 101

LOL, that would be nice! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Reason I am wondering is if you go drive a new Dodge(or older like 94+) with a SFA, they turn very nice for such a long vehicle. Ours dont turn as sharp. The 1/2 ton Dodges use 44's up front so they should be very similar to our 44's and 10b.... I was wondeirng if maybe their turning stops are shorter? I would like to trim mine but how do you tell if you have gone too far and are putting too much stress on the u-joint without starting to blow them all the time?

5. Emmettology 101

Rear steer would be nice, but too much $, labor and hassle. I like Rene's saying: K.I.S.S.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What did Steve do to the ORD Blazer to get it to turn so sharp?

7. Emmettology 101

Good question.. Hopefully he will see this and reply! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the limit is tire size and backspacing of the rims. The bigger rubber has the potential to hit the springs, steering box, etc etc. Those are the real steering stops.

I think you need to throw some 31's on your truck and then compare it to those Dodges...my buddy's 89 still turns on a dime, but the tires aren't that tall and they're on narrow 16.5" rims with stock backspacing...

My truck probably takes an extra 10 feet to turn 180 degrees.

Rene

9. Emmettology 101

On Emmett nothing hit(that I knew of), but on the 86, I am rubbing the inside of the driverside tire on the draglink! Once I readjust that I am going to see if it helps any, plus I may trim a little off the stops to see if it changes any.

10. Sandman

I wonder if a crossover setup would fix that?

11. Emmettology 101

Mine rubs the drag link right now because it is out of alignment and turns farther one way than the other. But I bet Crossover would help turning radius! Come to think of it, I do believe the Dodges have a crossover type steering!

12. Sandman

I should have my crossover done this week and I was sort of wondering how tight I could crank the adjusters before I hit the steering box or if it wouldnt be an issue.

13. Emmettology 101

Definately keep me posted!

14. Sandman

If all goes well, I'll be test driving it next weekend. Need to test out my new front bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

My 75 turns on a dime. There is a "stop" on each knuckle that limits the turning. Screw the stop bolt in and you will turn farther.

If you are turning sharper in one direction than the other, you may need to adjust your drag link. There is an adjusting sleeve on your drag link that is supposed to help you center your steering wheel. If you adjust it too far, it will limit your turning in one direction.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

When I went from stock steering to crossover steering I could not believe the difference. My lifted 89 turns sharper then Donna's stock 90 does. I didn't even adjust the stops when going to crossover and it made a huge difference.

17. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm with Wayne. My crossover made a huge difference on the turning radius. Never adjusted or grinded my stops either.

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Watson runs a twin stick 205 (so he can use fwd only) and has a turning brake hooked up to the rear axle (so he can lock up just the inside tire).

For me removing the welded spiders would do wonders for turning radious.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I cast another vote that crossover fixes the problem.

My old draglink setup was the worst, U-Turns almost always required backing up at least once! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

With the crossover steering, there is a MUCH tighter radius in addition to all the other beautiful things you get (no more bumpsteer, better offroad steering when crossed up, etc)

You know it's funny, I remember people saying that crossover steering caused the powersteering fluid to overheat more easily. I think the reasons provided were that the steering setup allowed the steering box to move in a larger range of motion and pump more fluid around.....meaning that you were finally getting all the functionality out of the steering box. Kind of a neat "side effect" that proves more is really happening in the steering department!!!

Crossover is great, but budget for an inexpensive external PS Cooler as part of the costs..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif