Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning the front wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tommy4902, Mar 29, 2006.

1. tommy4902

tommy4902 Registered Member

I don't remember if it was the case before I put my lift on or not, but when I installed a raised steering arm for a 6 inch lift on my 1970 blazer, the front wheels would only turn to the right easily not you had to really force them to the left. It has power steering and when the front axle is up on jack stands i can push the wheels to the right very easily but turning the wheels by hand the other direction is really hard. ANyone guess what the problem is? Should it be easy to turn the wheels the one direction if I have power steering? I'm not really sure which one is the problem, should both directions be hard to turn by hand just pushing on the tire or should both directions be easy to turn?

2. tommy4902

Any one?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

ttt for ya.
    What angle is your draglink at?

4. tommy4902

can't be much of an angle after I put the raised steering arm on. I thought of that first but when the drag link is not connected to the arm the same thing happens, I can physically push the disconnected drag link in, and then pull it back out but once it gets to halfway out it gets really hard to budge it.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sounds like something is bent. Disconnect the wheels from each other and try one at a time. What happens then? You may have a balljoint bad.

6. tommy4902

When I disconnect the steering arm the wheels are out of the equation.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's what he's saying. Check the wheels by themselves to make sure the problem isn't a bad ball joint.

8. tommy4902

I'm confused, i disconnected the steering arm from the drag link. the drag link is the part that goes from the arm to the steering box right. When the drag link was disconnected from the steering arm I tried to push/pull on it to move the steering wheel through its cycle but it became hard to move the drag link past a certain point, It would go but it was way harder to move then at a different part in the cycle. So I though I had taken the wheels out of the equation when I did this because when the steering arm is diconnected, neither wheel moves when u turn the steering wheel.

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I think you're calling the pitman arm the drag link.

I don't know enough about the steering on a '70 to say for sure, though. Is it the same as the 73-91 SFA trucks?

10. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

Sounds to me what he is saying. With the wheels disconnected from the box the box is still hard to turn. Sounds to me like a box issue

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If that's true, then I'd agree. Probably a broken/worn/degraded worm gear. That would explain the difficulty turning only after a certain point in the travel.

12. tommy4902

ok, so what do I do? Do shops repair steering boxes or is it cheaper to buy a rebuilt one, or is it something easy to fix?

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I wouldn't say it's easy to fix but it is possible.
    The easiest, and probably most expensive, way would be to find a reman steering box.
    You might be able to find a shop that repairs them but you'd have to call around your area.
    Rebuilding it yourself should be the cheapest way but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, then explore the other two options.

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a good time to replace w/ a 2 wd steering box and go hydro. :)