Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turning up the fuel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Dec 10, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK you diesel God's, time to post up your nuggets of wisdom here.

I recently got my pump and injectors rebuilt by Accurate diesel. It run and starts pretty damn good right now...but even under heavy throttle I don't get much more than a wisp of smoke.

I'm thinking it could use a little more fuel, so how can I turn it up a little and is this a bad idea? My next emissions test isn't for another 20 months, and I can turn it back to where it is now for the test...

Is there much power to be had doing this? My intake has been port matched which enlarged the intake ports by an easy 25% over stock. My filter is currently an open element
    (modified stock housing...don't ask)

Timing is currently 1/16" past the mark.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Rene

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You have a J code correct? If so, then you already have more fuel then C code engines. As far as using black smoke for an indicator of fueling, its not really accurate. However, if you have a even a wisp of black smoke under high load, then you are getting more than enough fuel, so turning it up will make little or no difference. A pyrometer is the only accurate way of seeing if youre fueling it enough. IMHO, leave it the way it is.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So for discussion sake...if I had an EGT guage what temps would I be looking for that would tell me I'm overfueling the motor?

Rene

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

That would be something that someone that designed the engine could tell you since I do not know the limits of a 6.2 as far as exhaust temps. Banks I guess has done some testing too so maybe you can use their results to find a safe EGT limit.

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

See this thread for a discussion of EGTs:
    EGT temps for a 6.2

Even though the context is using a Turbo the same design limits are applicable. EGT's may actually be higher on a NA engine than on a turbo'ed engine for the same work output, if I understand the issue correctly.