Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turning with front mini spool or EZ locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Sep 7, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of adding a mini spool or one of those inexpensive easy to instal lockers into the front of my K20. It has manual hubs so I know I will be OK on the street, but will I be able to turn while wheeling? Its a full size long bed truck so I dont plan on doing much rock crawling or tight situations. Mostly mud, sand dunes, and whatever trouble I can get into where this truck will actually fit. I live in Hollister, CA so I will be playing at our local Off-Road area and Pismo Beach for some fun in the sand. I am just starting this build and so far have 383 stroker and 35" tires. Tires will probly stay under 38" since I would still like to be able to do the occasional towing and hauling.
    :dunno:

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I run a spool in the front of mine, it provides unbeatable traction but turning is a nightmare :doah: I run one hub unlocked most of the time and lock the other in when needed...but this puts all the pressure on one hub which I don't like.

Also make sure to put in a power steering cooler, your pump is gonna be working overtime.

Bottom line, I love my setup, wouldn't go back :D

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy a LockRight instead of a minispool from Jeg's... they've got a decent price on them. I had a welded carrier in the front of my abomination when I got it... it was the first thing to go. Hard on the frame and didn't turn for beans. In high traction situations the wheel would turn but the tire would just distort... didn't turn very sharp like that. Not to mention what it was doing to the frame when I did that.

4. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I have a mini spool in the front of my 3/4T BurbI LOVE IT!! I wheel with the hubs locked 99.9% of the time, Iv'e had to un-lock 1 hub 2 times to make a turn and that's it. I is DA BOMB!!!! in the snow, if I need to turn real tight I just turn the wheel and stand on it a little and it will allmoste pivot on the rear axle (I'm open in the rear).
    1 and only thing I don't like about it: I can't use 4WD on icey roads because even with 1 hub un-locked it will still let the front end "walk" real bad when turning to one side (the side with the hub locked in)