Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turnkey Gen III chevy crate motors / Petersons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Apr 23, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Got my new Peterson's in the mail yesterday, there is an article about a company called "turnkey" that sells complete Gen III chevy blocks, 4.7, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0. I guess they have "partnered up" with Advance Adapters to make these available. Article shows part 1 of the install into an 83 or so Blazer. Ive got the 5.3 in my Tahoe and love it. Apparantly, the engine and kit for the 6.0 runs around $5600 versus a RamJet 350 around $4800 to $5000. Can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldnt consider doing that swap into my 89? Oh yeah, new blocks will mate to most if not all older trannys. Food for thought /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Well, just saw the "piston slap" thread, so theres one chink in the armor. I dont have that problem with my 5.3 thought, and ive had 2 of em.

3. antta99

antta99 Registered Member

Ive been thinking about putting a 5.7 LS1 in my Blazer.The article gives me a bit more incentive. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The factory fuel injection, ignition system, and engine management on the Gen III engines is a nice setup. The modern technology has a lot of advantages. If you are afraid of CSK (I definitely wouldn't be) all you have to do is swap out the pistons to eliminate it. Good time to swap in a hotter cam and go fast.

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I'd like to have one of those 5.7's out of the new GTO. I believe it is a Gen. III motor.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If I spend 5600 bones on a motor it'll have more than 327 cubes.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I believe the 6.0 is 364 cubes. Stock it will put out around 350 horses and about 390 ft/lbs. I'm leaning toward doing a lq9/4l65e swap into my blazer. There are better deals than turnkey though.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Apparantly, the engine and kit for the 6.0 runs around $5600 versus a RamJet 350 around $4800 to $5000. Can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldnt consider doing that swap into my 89? Oh yeah, new blocks will mate to most if not all older trannys. Food for thought /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Might as well go LS1 if you're thinking about dropping $5600.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im going with a 6.0, will put out around 400HP with no emmisions crap on it. It will have the same output as an LS1 but with much more bottom end torque.

10. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6.0's are great, but there in the Garage sits an 8.1 fat block for mine. Injection and all! just got to wait for Howell's new harness and controller. That and some $$$$.

11. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Too bad that 8.1 doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket support yet. That is one torque pig.

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Aftermarket support may not be there yet, but its building. I just found a site yesterday at www.raylarengine.com They got the first aftermarket aluminum heads for the 8.1 and are working on new intakes too. Also Arizona Speed and Marine have a wicked looking 8.1 intake for marine applications that would pump up the tourque.

But then again, 340hp and 455 ft/lbs of torque is plenty for my little 75! If the Howell harness is going to be a while I've had some discussion with people I know back at GM and it is possible to use the 8.1 Marine Controller with the stock harness. all it takes is money!!!!!!!!!