Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Turns left sharper than turning right.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JROSS, Jun 11, 2002.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

After I replace my steering box I noticed that I had a sharper turning radius to the left than to the right. Is there a way to adjust this? (It could be I just didn't notice before) It seems as if I have an extra 1/2 to full turn of the wheel to the left than the right. Also, The steering seems to be tighter with the new box. I also noticed that the power steering pulley has two grooves for belts and I only have one belt on, could this be why my steering is tight. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif thanks for the help.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

There are stops located on the knuckles. Check to see that if at full turn these are both contacting the axle tube. If they do then just adjust the stop on the passenger side and see if you get full turn back.

3. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

It doesn't look as if contact is being made. The stops don't show any signs of contact.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You should be able to adjust your draglink to get equal steering left and right. Once you have that adjusted OK then adjust the steering stops to suit.

Rene

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You have to adjust the steering so that the steering box is centered. That is, the internal gears are exactly halfway between full left and full right when the tires are pointed straight ahead. You can adjust this from the drag link, as stated above. Once you have it set correctly, then you can adjust the steering wheel so that it's oriented properly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My stops didn't have any signs of contact...at full lock, they never touched the axle tubes...maybe this is why my steering box is in such bad shape. I bought some new bolts to use for the stops...I think they are a 1/4" longer, thread size is 3/8-24.

7. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info on the steering issue all. Anyone have any coment on the 2 belts for the power steeing pump? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

One belt would normally go over the P/s pump and to the air conditioning. Apparently you don't have air conditioning so you don't need it.