Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

turns left under breaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, May 10, 2006.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

ok when i am driving my truck on the street everytime i break it turns hard to the left. when i let off the break it jams back to the right. anyone know what is causing this. my breaks look good.

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is most likely your steering because when you slam on the brakes it compresses your front suspension and causes your steering geometry to change. You might be able to see what i mean by pushing up and down on the front of your truck while looking at your steering wheel (steering wheel unlocked) or your draglink, they should move back and forth.

3. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

i will give that a try thanks

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

also low tire pressure can cause this

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

swerve!...

A rubber brake hose that is collapsed internally,or restricted ,will cause the same symptoms,as will a siezed caliper that does not apply pressure to the pads on one side,or a dented steel brake line..it'll swerve to the side that the brakes are working correctly on,then back the other way when you release the brakes..rusty caliper bolts and slides also can cause this..aligenment problems can too...(toe in and caster,and ball joint/tie rods worn or loose)..

I had one truck that did this and I tried everything I just listed,and it still did it!:mad: --I finally figured it out..one front tire was a different brand,same size was MARKED on the tire as the rest,but was a different brand--it turned out it was 1.5" larger in diameter,and was a 6 ply "C" rated tire,and the other 3 were matching 4 ply "B" rated tires!..:doah: ..changed the tire to one that matched the other 3,and it was gone!..wish I looked there first...wasted 100+ bucks and lots of labor!..:(

6. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

You need to look at your right side front brake like diesel4me said.Unhook your right rubber line at the caliper,it should drip like crazy if it doesnt it most likely is plugged up.If that checks out ok then look at the caliper to make sure it can move freely!

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Check for a stuck caliper or collapsed hose.....

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I agree with those who say its the brakes.