Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tv cable adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Aug 28, 2001.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

hey whats goin? I have a question about the adjustment of my 700r. I followed the directions an adj. the tv cable but it still seems to hestitate shifting between 2nd and 3rd. It was just rebuilt three weeks ago I pulled it out myself so I had to adjust it myself. Any help will be helpful cause i dont if it will tear anything up or not being the way it is.

88 college K5

2. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

The only right way to adjust it correctly is with a pressure guage....It hooks up right to the port just above the shifting linkage on the left side of the tranny....if you go to this web sight www.700r4.com.... it will explain how to do it...they will also sell you a pressure guage for around 30 bucks...I bought one from them and my tranny shifts great...
    Basicly you should have a pressure increase with any amount of TV/throttle movment (engine running) ....so what you do when you hook up your pressure guage is depress the detent on the TV adjust bracket and move it out when the pressure decreases you note the reading...then you move it in and watch for pressure increase...note that reading...I think the two readings should be within 1 or 2 psi of each other......Im just going off of memory but that web sight will explain it for you...they talk about the adjustment for after market carbs but the proceedure is the same for stock rigs......I hope this will help

P.S. Mine dialed in right about 75 psi @ idle

3. 90idahoblazer

One more thing...sorry about taking up 2 posts....but it sounds like you have the adjustment to tight...meaning that you need to pull the adjustment out a click at a time until you think or it feels right....a good tranny shop will do this for you if you feel uncomfortable with it...I recommend that you take it to them as soon as possible if you dont want to mess with it....that adjustment is critical for to the life of the tranny..... you dont want to burn that new tranny up...

4. gill

gill Registered Member

thanks for the info im gonna have to try that as soon as i get time
    Mike

5. 90idahoblazer

Mike,

If you would like I will send you my guage.....PM me with an address...It will save you 30 bucks....I trust that you will send it back....let me know...I wont be using it for awhile unless my tranny blows

6. 90idahoblazer

Mike, one last thing did you have a shift kit put in and how is the fluid level ?

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Hey I just went through that with mine. My gm book on trannies says to push in the detent and move the slider back through the housing until slider rest completely against housing and release locking detent. some say to use throttle lever but that didn't work for mine I was having trouble with 2-3 shift so I used the throttle peddle instead(which a good freind and an ASE tranny guy told me, and yes I know him well) of lever at the carb. Push in the peddle(or lever) full open and release and it should automatically adjust unless your cable is messed up. I haven't had a problem since and it has been awhile ago. Remember engine is off.
    Brian

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 33's