Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV Cable Operation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. While I was playing with my PS (see other post [​IMG]) on my 90 K5 -350/700R4-, I took a look at my TV Cable at the carb end. My tranny is shifting from 1 to 2 at a really high RPM and hard once it does. But that's probably cause I my tranny fluid looks like strawberry milk (see other post with swamped pics [​IMG]).

Anyway, I looked up in my manual about adjusting the cable and just to see how it works. The way I read the manual, the whole assembly that holds the cable as it comes into the engine compartment is supposed to move (I think they said a rachet movement). Only my cable moves when I move the throttle lever. Is this correct?

And how do I reset it just to be sure? The manual says to squeeze the assembly and move the entire thing along the cable. I tried to squeeze it (with just fingers) and it didn't move. Should I be using pliers or am I just not doing it right?

Thanks for all the help! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

The way I've adjusted mine (on an 88 loaded)is to use a small long thin bladescrew driver. Angle in from the vacuum booster side near rear of left valve cover. Between the valve cover and pipe. Notice where your adjustment is now! It takes a bit of pressure to overcome spring tension. Once you do, the adjustment rod will pop forward. Kind of a pain, but simple once you get on it.

Would be much easier to visualize the above if you had a pic. Can't help you there.

Good Luck!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Right where the TV able attaches to the throttle bracket, there's a D-shaped metal piece, surrounded by the plastic at the end of the cable. Depress that D-shaped part and pull the cable housing back towards the firewall. Release the D-shaped part and open the throttle to wide open. The cable will adjust itself to the correct setting. You should hear a few small clicks as it adjusts. That's it! You're done.

Get that strawberry milkshake fluid out of your tranny NOW. If you drive it with water in the tranny, you're going to be in for a very expensive tranny rebuild. There's a reason they don't ship from the factory with water in the tranny! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

John,

Was just playing with the board and pushed a new button. There was this month old message. Sorry, didn't know about this private stuff!

Will definitely have to be after the New Year for me ... still can't get the tranny right. Will play some more this week end.

In the future contact me via my e-mail address listed on member info. will be sure to get messages there.

Thanks, have a good Holiday and look forward to meeting.

Hey Bob. Just wanted to PM you about that Paragon thread. If you wanna make plans to go up their sometime, let me know. Honestly, after Christmas is gonna be the soonest for me. Things are pretty hectic here til then. But keep it in mind.

If you ever need an extra set of hands on your truck, let me know. My truck knowledge is defintely at the novice level, but I follow directions real well! Plus I know having someone there for moral support is nice too! Seriously let me know if you ever need some help. Talk to you later.

- John

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Changing tranny fluid

Hey Harry, got another question for ya (boy you opened up a can of worms offering me help [​IMG] ).

I was told at the tranny shop (not by the owner though so I guess the source could be spotty) that I had to dilute the tranny fluid down cause only about 4 quarts sits in the pan and there about another 8 in the torque converter. So I could only change what was in the pan and dilute it back down to the right fluid. Is this not the case and/or is there a way to speed up the process? I have been giving it a day or two to mix so I don't just drain the good stuff. Is that too long to wait?

Thanks for the help!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

6. HarryH3

Re: Changing tranny fluid

Many tranny shops now have the equipment to change ALL of the fluid at once. They drop the pan and remove the filter, then attach a hose where the filter was. Then they start the engine and capture all the old nasty stuff as it spews out of the tranny while filling it with fresh oil via the hose they installed. When fresh new oil is coming back out of the tranny, it's all flushed.

Be prepared for sticker shock. Going price for this service around here is $80-100. It's way cheaper than a rebuild though... [​IMG]

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

When I put on my new carb I readjusted the TV cabel via haynes's manual as you descibed. This initial adjustment proved to be way to high! I had to get adjusting it about 1/8" toward the radiatir till I got the right shift points. Be careful though, go too far forward and it won't downshift right... FOund this out the hard way. hehe I just had to tinker with it then drive some, tinker some more, etc... That selfadjuster is a good starting point though.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

8. HarryH3

Ya gotta be careful with adjusting the TV cable on your own. It doesn't just control shift points. It also controls the internal line pressure of the tranny. If the pressure is too low then your tranny will slowly self destruct.

9. CrazeeBush

I know it's right now, wher eit was before it would start to shift go a little further release, the motor would rev real high, then it would slam into gear. It definately wasn't right, so I had to adjust it on my own.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I posted about this a loooong time ago. Someone mentioned that the 1-2 shifts are not controlled by the TV cable, but by the modulator in the tranny. The 2-3 shifts are the ones that are controlled by the TV cable.

That's what they told me. Don't know for sure. I decided to leave it alone instead of ruining something that was OK. I think you should change your fluid first and then see if there are any changes in shift points.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. CrazeeBush

I'll disagree, I do believe that the 1-2 shift is controlled by the TV cable. I say this b/c as I adjusted it, I was able to change the speed it shifted at, also the feel of the shifts. Now it shifts firm from 1st to 2nd and also downshifts firm as well.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com

12. CrazeeBush

I'll disagree, I do believe that the 1-2 shift is controlled by the TV cable. I say this b/c as I adjusted it, I was able to change the speed it shifted at, also the feel of the shifts. Now it shifts firm from 1st to 2nd and also downshifts firm as well.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I am going to AAMCO tomorrow morning so they can look at it. That is the only place in the area I could find with a machine to flush the tranny.

I spoke to my tranny guy and he knew what I was talking about but said he didn't have one. I called a couple of places and the only place with one was the AAMCO one town over. I guess I'll go there!

They gotta road test it first cause they won't flush it if there's other problems too. I will let you know how it goes. I'll try to remember to ask about the TV cable also.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

On a 700R4 the TV cable controls ALL of the gear shifts. It doesn't control converter lockup, though. To the best of my knowledge, there is no modulator in a 700. Other trannies, I don't know much about.
    The powerflush is great!! I had it done over the summer and it made a noticeable difference in shift feel. It's nice to know ALL the fluid is fresh, too.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!