Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV Cable or detent cable on 89 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Dec 21, 2004.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I broke the clip off of my TV cable where it attaches to the throttle bracket and I think that I will have to just replace the whole cable, are there any other options?

Also does it have a detent cable? Because the only 2 cables that I see are the throttle cable and the TV cable. But when I searched on gmpartsdirect.com all that I could find was a detent cable, is this the same thing as a TV cable?

Thanks.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 700R4 only has a Throttle Valve cable (TV Cable). I think you will probably need a whole new cable. They are not terribly expensive even at the Dealer.

I paid $40 for my TV Cable from the GM Dealer. I would recommend you get a GM part, don't settle for some cheap crap. That cable controls the entire transmission and if it isn't set right you can fry the tranny. 700R4 are big $$$ to rebuild too. The extra $10-15 for a good cable is worth it.

Harley

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Pioneer brand cable is just as good as a GM one and is available at your local parts store.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they make a kit to fix the broken end, price is $2 and is a very easy fix. i know i can get them.

i picked up a new cable from my dealer for $20

5. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I appreciate all of the replies, but I am not concerned about buying a new cable, that is what I had planned on doing, but I can't find a TV cable to buy, all that I can find is a detent cable. Is this the same thing? I am assuming that it is, because the only two cables that I see are my throttle cable and the TV cable.

Thanks

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It is a TV cable but the parts catalogs might list it as a detent cable since it does have a some similar functionality.

I would assume that if they only list one cable it is the right one. 700r4 tranny's don't use a detent cable.

7. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

That is what I figured. Thanks bud.