Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV Cable Removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, May 11, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

700R4 Tranny
    89' K5 blazer.
    How the hell do I remove the TV cable? I unbolted the little bolt holding the TV cable housing to the tranny. I then pulled up on the cable to unhook it, but can't find the hook. Pulled maxium up too. I then tried to disconnect it under the hood but couldn't figure that out either. Any help, much appreciated. Trying to swap my tranny out, so that's why I'm removing it.

Well, one other quesiton while I'm here.
    I unbolted all the bolts from the tranny bellhousing to the motor (6 bolts). removed the TC bolts from the flywheel. Removed, the shifter, TCase shifter, 4WD wire, speedo cable, TC wire, basically everything that needs to be disconnected to remove the tranny (except the TV cable for now). I have a jack under the motor. and a tranny jack under the tranny pan. I know I need to move the tranny back and lower, but the tranny seemed to be sealed tight on the motor. It won't move back. Is this common? I tried tugging on the tcase but no luck. I'm about to take a 3lb sledge and go to work if I can't figure something out.
    Anyhow, any help here will be great too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks in advance.
    Boss

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Try pushing down on the t/v cable where it goes into the tranny, then pull up. It's kind of tricky, and it's a little ring, so be careful not to distort it. When I unbolted the cable, I held the fitting that went into the tranny, and pushed down on the cable while wiggling it to get it off of the hook. It's much easier to remove it there, then up in the engine bay.

Not sure why the tranny won't separate. Sounds like you have everything removed. Maybe an obstruction of some kind?

P.S. It's even more fun (pain in the a$$) to get it all back together.

Good luck,
    BIGJ

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

You might want to try going in through the tranny pan. You can see where it connects after taking off the pan. To get the tranny off the engine try letting you tranny jack down about an inch or two to help slide the tranny back. Gravity should help seperate the two. But be ready for it. God luck and be safe. I did mine with no tranny jack. I just got under it and used pure strength. It was really hard to put back in.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Even if you have all the bolts out there are the dowel pins that locate the 2 together. They can be tight. Are you sure you got all the bolts out too?

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks guys.

I actually figured it out after about 2 hours of rest though (sometimes, you need the break /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )
    To remove the TV cable from the trans., you need to unhook it from the throttle lever, to give it some slack. Then you'll see the hook and just unhook it from the trans.

Lastly, now this is kinda embarrasing /forums/images/icons/blush.gif. I actually still had one bolt holding onto the bellhousing. I thought I removed it, but is a double sided bolt, one side goes through the bellhousing/motor like usual, but the other side holds the tab that holds the dipstick with a 1/2" nut. I removed the 1/2" nut thinking that was it....../forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. Anyhow, after I figured that out, I dropped the trans and now it's ready for the new trans/Doubler /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Should have that in by tonight or tomorrow (looks like it's about to T-Storm again today/night though /forums/images/icons/frown.gif....
    Boss