Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV cable / WOT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Apr 12, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

when i have an assistant (that would be the wife) push my gas pedal all the way to the floor, i can still twist my carburetor linkage just a bit with my hand while under the hood. this leads me to think that i am not achieving full wide open throttle with the gas pedal. is it possible to adjust my throttle cable and if so how. i have looked at it and do not see any adjustment points. is it possible for the cable to be old and just stretched out? i am making TV cable adjustments and in order to get it perfect, i must be able to achieve wide-open throttle with the gas pedal…

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

from what I know the throttle must make it to wide open for TV cable adjustments to be accurate. I had to cut apart my throttle bracket and make some modifications to it to acheive full throttle with the pedal. Then the tv cable adjustment was easy.

3. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

I just did this today on the burb as I was installing a new intake manifold. I found to test the cable length theory, I disconnected the TV cable and had my assistant floor the pedal and then I pulled the TV cable and it was mis adjusted and not allowing for full throttle so I pushed the button on the TV housing and pulled it out a little then I reattached it to the post then I pushed the button with one hand and pushed the housing back towards the firewall until I couldn't get it back any further and released the button. You have to make sure the truck is warmed up so you aren't getting stopped by the choke linkage.

4. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yur not suspost to adjust the TV cable by pushing the gas pedal to the floor. You wont get it adjusted properly using the gas pedal.
    You adjust the TV cable by opening the throttle linkage to WOT by HAND at the TB

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are running a Q-jet, that extra 20CFM (wild guess) isn't going to make an ounce of difference. I wouldn't spend two minutes worrying about it.

7. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

gents, i am straight on adjusting the TV cable. prior to making a TV cable adjustment, you must be able to achieve wide-open throttle (WOT) from the gas pedal. if you have the gas pedal floored and you can still turn the linkage by hand, you are not achieving WOT and must stop to fix the throttle cable - this is non negotiable.

this is where i am in the process - i need to tighten up my throttle cable. because there appears to be no adjustment point and i can still get a small twist at the linkage; i must have a stretched cable or maybe i need to bend the bracket to the rear of the carb that supports the cable like cybrfire stated.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are dead set on doing this, you can also pull the gas pedal out (the whole assembly, unbolt from firewall) and bend the metal where the cable clips on. Barely adjust it though, as a little adjustment goes a long way. Had to do this to get full throttle travel with my TPI setup on the truck.

TV cable adjusts line pressure to the tranny based on throttle position. If you are getting 95% throttle travel, you are getting 95% TV cable movement. (theoretically of course, since there are many variables) This is no different than 50% of both at mid-throttle. Still don't see a problem. That adjustment is important, but it's still not a "precise" adjustment, and even if it's done "right", there is probably at least a 5% margin of error based on how the adjustment is accomplished with the adjuster on the cable.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you push that cable to the very limit of its travel, it will more than likely break on you at an inoppurtune time. Once you reach carb maximum travel, that cable is your weak link. I'd much rather have a hair of "slop" in the throttle shaft at WOT, than have that cable stretched taught. You have a lot more leverage with that gas pedal than you think.