Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, May 1, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

How is it possible that a 700-R4 tranny can shift through all the gears and there is no TV cable hooked up. I was test driving a 71 GMC Spirit that had a 700-r4 in it and the TV cable was just laying next to the carb but it shifted through all the gears. The thing was a dog though but the 3.08 gears most likley did not help that. How is it possible that it was able to shift?

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Isn't that a kick down cable used to downshift when the throttle is hammered?

If so, it should shift fine, but wouldn't downshift when you get on the throttle...

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

a 700 will still shift with the TV cable unhooked,it just provides a link to the engine to adjust the fluid pressure, doesnt cut if off completly . its very bad tho, really good way to ruin a tranny.

4. 1979jimmy350

no it is on a 700-r4 it controls more than just the down shift, it controals shift points that is why i am so confused. And it is a 700 because it has the electrial conector for lock up and has a square pan

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

let me guess, it shifted way too soon, and probably hit 4th at like 10mph.
    the governer tells it to shift, the TV cable tells it when to shift (depending on throttle position) and line presure. if you are buying it, step away, the tranny it about dead now. they don;t last long at all with the TV not hooked up.

6. 1979jimmy350

no it actually did not shift in to 4th until around 40 mph and the guy has been driving it like this for some time and he claims 20 mpg

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

LOL... well hes a dumbass...

like said earlier that tranny doesn't have too much life on it now.

I ran my rig with the tv hooked up but not adjusted for 6 months and it shifted so damn hard into second it would sqeel 35's with stock gearing without even giving it throttle. if i didn't have a corvette kit it would be toast. still killed my servo tho. I didn't know better at the time and just thought that was how the corvette kit shifted.