Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 11, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys, i am having some issues with getting my TV cable adjusted right for my 700R tranny. I put it in all new, adjusted it properly and worked great, i guess the cable stretched though. Now there isnt any ratchet left on the adjuster to make up for the cable stretch so my truck now has a cruise control that i dont like. In other words, when press the gas down and am doing about 40mph i can let go and it will stay at that RPM for a while until i punch the throttle hard for it to quickly retract to idleing position. How the heck can i fix this? any 700R guys here? Thanks Mike

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

That sounds more like a throttle cable or throttle return spring than a TV cable. :crazy:

Rick

3. stockk5

well i can physically watch the cable not pull back and when i push the ratchet part of the cable back into itself, and make the cable snug it actually doesnt stay up at high rpm.. i know this is kinda difficult to explain on the comp, but i can prob get pics tmrow

4. rick88blaze

So what you're saying is the cable won't pull back into the adjuster? Did you double check to make sure it stayed hooked onto the little hook down on the tranny? I've had problems trying to keep mine hooked on there, but only when installing a new cable or swapping trannies.

Rick

5. stockk5

well it does pull back into the adjuster.. jsut very slowly.. the cable's ball end that sticks out past the lil plastic clip that clips onto the throttle itself u can watch it slowly move back in when i let off the gas. Most of the time it stops about 1/2cm short of that lil black clip until i hit the gas pedal really quickly for 1sec to make it almost jump back down w/ momentum. but that could be the problem too. ill check into it.

6. rick88blaze

I hope that works. If that cable doesn't get adjusted properly it will burn up that 700 pretty quick. Ask me how I know. :D

Rick

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like you might have a frayed cable inside the housing. Disconnect the cable from the carb/TBI and see if it will pull out freely and then retract freely, if not time for a new cable.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you got any tight bends or kinks in the cable? It should move back really easy.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check your throttle cable too. Sounds more to me like the throttle cable may be frayed and sticking. Un hook both cables and see if they move freely.