Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV or not TV that is my question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Khi5in, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Let me say this. I just bought a 86 k5 4x4. The tranny is a 700r4. I had to replace it. This thing started as a vibration in second gear then a delay in reverse then was sitting in drive at idle and it felt like i was in an earthquake. the whole drive train was shakin all over. I ran into a good tranny and changed it. Now none of those other problems but this thing slams into second gear hard. I ws told by numerouse people it was the TV cable. So I found the online instructions on adjusting it. Played with it some more and it got a little better. I guess after all this talk what i need to know , is the tv cable my problem or something else. I can't keep diving like this i'm afraid i'm gonna wipe out the tranny. Any advise or help will do.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, if your TV cable is adjust correctly and it still shift hard, you may try loosening it up like 1 "click" and see if that helps...Don't loosen it too much though or your toast your tranny...Does the tranny have a shift kit...? Just a few things to think about while the tranny gurus round up their answers...

Chris

3. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Thanks for the advise. tried loosening it and it did get a little better. but i don't want to over do it like you said. No shift kit but it feels like one. only 1st to 2nd hard shift.

4. fortcollinsram

Is it hard are part throttle, full throttle, no throttle, or all of the above...My old 700r4 was a super hard shift between from 1 to 2 but it was mainly when I gunned it most of the way through 1st then let off, then it was like "BANG!!!" But it was a nice shift at full throttle and acceptable at part throttle...Try a fluid flush and filter change...that has help a few of my friends in fixing their sick 700's

Chris

5. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

My 85 700r4 does that hard 1-2 shift also, could it be normal? Chris

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

where are these instructions to adjust the "tv" cable ?

i know my tranny is good , but she kinda slides into gear , but not a slipping glide , so someone told
    me to adjust the cable . i just not sure how to do it right with out messing it up.

7. fortcollinsram

8. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I took this truck to a gm tech I am friends with. He said the shift points are correct and i f i adjust the cable any more i might have more problems. He thinks there is a kit in this . All I can do is wait to see if it gets worse. so far it hasn't got worse but I wish i knew if it was right or not..
    To answere your question chris- good shift at full throttle , acceptable at half but real smooth if i let off just before the shift and got back on.

9. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

I just had mine rebuilt about two months ago and is does the same thing. Nice shift full throttle, but hard shift at part throttle, but the guy put a shift kit in it. Mine always shifted hard before it was rebuilt though.

10. eastk5

eastk5 Registered Member

I just had mine rebuilt also, it to slams into second. The guy who rebuilt it told me it was like that because he put a corvette servo and bands in it. I'm not sure i like it but but it makes the big ol' girl feel like a sports car/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

I hear Ya. i'm not sure i like it but it does go pretty good. hope it knocks the rust off so there will be less to do when it gets warmer! LOL!!!!!!!!!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can tell if it's too loose very easily. Loosen it, then drive it. Accelerate normally until it shifts to 2nd, then floor it. It should downshift. If it doesn't, it's too loose. If it does downshift, it's fine.

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

this is off subject a bit, but i was really wondering: i just swapped a 700 into the 79k15, i did away with the 350. i love the low first, and the overdrive. but why did they do away with the vacuum modulated shift points. this tv thing is a pain in my a$$. its been such a piece of $ |-| ][ ']['

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

this is off subject a bit, but i was really wondering: i just swapped a 700 into the 79k15, i did away with the 350. i love the low first, and the overdrive. but why did they do away with the vacuum modulated shift points. this tv thing is a pain in my a$$. its been such a piece of $ |-| ][ ']['

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know. I've thought the same thing...but once you get the TV cable set, you're good, no more messing with it from there.

Make sure it's not binding or anything.