Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TV tuners in your PC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Sep 19, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Well my little 13 inch TV that I've had in my room for years has started to crap out. Instead of buying a new TV I was thinking of purchasing a TV tuner for my PC. I've looked at some on newegg but I'm really not sure what I should be looking for. I really dont want to break the bank on this one either.

The only thing I know I want in the card is a remote and either a PCI or PICe slot card. I really dont want a USB card.

I want this card to play video with fairly good quality and it would be nice if it would record as well.

PC specs:
    AMD 3500 processor clocked to 2.32 ghz
    2 gb of ram
    74 gb raptor HD (master)
    120 gb HD (slave)
    ATI X200 video card.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I got one built into my Dell, with Media Center. Dunno how it works though, I can't afford cable. :doah: Came with a fancy remote that works a box connected to the computer via USB. The card can supposedly let me watch a channel while recording another. Came out to about $80 after remote.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Media Center stuff on my laptop works great. I use it to watch TV and movies all of the time.

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

ATI makes a nice setup, it's call the TVWonder. The upper model comes with a remote and stuff. I did the same thing years ago when I was still in the Army and living in Barracks. It saves space and you can also use you computer as a DVR so you never miss shows. It's pretty awesome.

:D

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is also NVidia based PCI cards out there with it as well . I have used one for 3 years or so with no problems . Mine has the video card , and the tuner is in a cabled box and I sit it to the side , keeping the extra heat out of my case . And I got a remote , and it records TV and has inputs to record off my camcorder etc .

6. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Hauppauge PVR150. works under both Linux & Windoh's. hardware mpeg encoding and comes with a remote and an IR blaster.

When you're ready to step up to the big leagues, check out MythTV. My entire theater at home is run off 1 PC, a projector and a stack of amps.

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hauppauge makes good stuff and for the same ammount you get more features then ATI or NVIDIA

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just looked at the myth tv site, thats badass,I have no idea what all that stuff is or what there talking about but it was cool,I think...

9. hunterguy86

I looked at some of the Hauppauge cards on Newegg. The reivews should that it works great under linux but it doesnt work well with windows. Crashes and stuff like that. Thats the thing that concerns me, since I dont want to convert my desktop to Ubuntu yet. It would be nice to have a card thats proven to work in linux in case I ever do switch though. Ah the decisions!!!!

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Seriously UBUNTU is an easier install then windows!!!! I got 10 copies sent to me in the mail and tried it out wow, so easy!!!

11. xblaxermnx

xblaxermnx Registered Member

You neednt worry aboot that. Ive had a Hauppauge PVR150 for a while and recorded all Broncos games last year with no crashes.

Easy to use as well.

(Yes, even recorded the damn AFC Championship game:mad:)

12. hunterguy86

I love ubuntu. I have it on my laptop. I just dont want to switch to it on my desktop, because i dont think autocad and stuff like that will run on it.

13. hunterguy86

May have to look into it. Thanks for the tips everyone.