Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tweaked Crossmember

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rob 85K5, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tweaked Crossmember (PIC)

Tweaked my crossmember this past Saturday. I didn't even know it until I saw it today. No vibes, noises or anything. I'll be straightening the frame and putting new bolts in tonight. I think I am going to make a solid spacer for both bolts to go through to fix the problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You didn't tweak your crossmember, you tweaked your frame. I broke my frame around the 2 bolt holes on the passenger side a few years ago. The crossmember fell down and the tcase and tranny dropped with it. I was 50 miles from anywhere and had to chain the crossmember back in place.

You need to pull the crossmember down and check that frame. It is probably cracked around the holes. You should seriously look into flattening the frame back out and then reinforceing the area of the frame that the crossmemeber bolts to. If you tweaked it that bad it is probably only a matter of time before you crack the mount holes out and the same thing that happened to me will happen to you.

Harley

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

and when you get it all straightened out make sure and replace those spacers with a long piece of square tube to spread the force which will almost eliminate that from happening again.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty nasty man! You'll need to heat that up and bend it back or something...

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I did the same to mine. Only not as bad. I just used 2 pieces of flat steel and sandwiched the frame between them. the bottom piece was shorter than the top one so it wouldn't act like a shear.