Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tweaked frame question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83' k5, Nov 12, 2006.

1. 83' k5

83' k5 Registered Member

I came upon a 91 gmc jimmy and I already had a lifted 83' k5 and i am wanting to swap the stuff off the 83' onto the 91'. The 91' was wrecked in the front and I was told that the frame may be tweaked. I was wondering how you can tell if it is and how much is to bad to use.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dependong on what it is you want of the '91 why not swap its goodies onto your '83. A good shop manual will give you frame dimensions and tell you how and where to measure the frame. Its kind of hard to do with a drivetrain installed as they are straight line measurements from inside to inside on the frame rails.

I have had frames straightened before and they worked but they tend to have a lot of flex in them and will crack under severe use

3. 83' k5

83' k5 Registered Member

That is what I was going to do in the first place but the 83 frame has cancer in the rear and I didnt wnat to deal with it.

4. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

depends on the frame on the 91 i would say it would be eazer to fix the rust issues on the 83 and while ur welding the frame on the 83 u could box it in for more strenght and and some braces for the steering box :wink1: