Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Twin-stick 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mofugly13, Feb 29, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

This didn't generate any interest in the Garage, so I'm reposting it here.

I have the Mile Marker part time kit, but have not installed it yet because my D44 is missing the ring gear. When I do install it, when shifting from 4hi to 4lo, the lever has to be thrown from one extreme to the other, correct? Seems pretty inconvenient, and unnecessary. I've seen posts on here about it, but never any specifics. Is it pretty self-evident what needs to be done when looking at a dropped t-case? Can something be fabbed up while it is still in the K5? I assume it will take a couple of levers and a couple of brackets. They shouldn't require any voodoo, should they? Maybe take some 1/2" CRS for the levers and turn a nice long taper up to where the knob goes, then some bending, grinding and drilling, as necessary? I should be getting a nice FAT tax return, and am gonna buy a MIG with some of it. Has anyone twin-sticked theirs? What did it take? How do you like it?

Thanks Bro's

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are two main improvements with a twin stick 205, neither of these can really apply to a 203 however. The twin stick allows for a 2Lo option (already available on a part time 203) It also allows for front wheel drive that can be used in tight corners (the chain in the 203 is not up for front wheel drive only abuse). So basically the 203 is half of a twin stick already. The convenience of not moving one shifter the full range of movement would be replaced with two shifter moving half the movement. I also don't believe it is even really possible to twin stick a 203 to begin with do to the fact that the range selector is a single shift rail design (a 205 uses 2). I am not trying to be negative just honest. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

You can twin stick a 203, because I did it. I never drove it, but I had some time to kill while waiting on parts. Anyway, you can do it very easilly, but I don't tink you will gain much out of doing it.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

news to me, now I know.
    Okay so it can be done but I would still wonder about the cain drive.

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

You won't get the front wheel only out of it like the 205. About the only thing you will gain is rear wheel low range. A 203 has two external shift levers. One operates high and low range, the other operates rear or four wheel drive. So like I said above, you won't gain much out of it, because you still won't have front wheel drive only. And I agree, I would be worried about the chain in front wheel only mode.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

With my part time kit I got 4Lo-2Lo-N-2Hi-4Hi so i am not sure of the point of a twin stick?? fill me in please /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. mofugly13

I wasn't looking to get front wheel drive out of it. I was just thinking about shifting from 4hi to 4lo. With the single stick, you have to shift all the way through from 4hi-2hi-n-2lo-4lo. I guess that really isn't a problem, but my willy's tcase has 2 sticks, one for lo-hi, one for 2wd-n-4wd. Seems simpler and more positive to me. I know it can be done, 'cause someone linked to a supplier on here once, I was just wondering if anyone had done it, how simple it was, do they like it, and can it be fabbed up in a shop. I have a lathe, drill press and oxy/acetylene setup. I'll be getting a welder with my tax returns. I figuresd if it was pretty self evident as to what I'd need to do, I'd do it. Why? Because I like to say, "I made that" when someone askes me where I got somethingtrick on the K5.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

why not do it? it would make some functions of the 203 simpler. i know that that shifter thing that controls the 2 movements with one stick is a pain in the a$$ to adjust and is just another point of failure. i say do it. sh!t i might even give it a shot, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it's free

9. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, it can be done,works well, and I like mine, The basics are, the 203 shifter box is like a gated shifter, it has a tab the grabs the second linkage to pull it in to place. Tha twin sticking part is easy, pull your box, open the access cover, there are 2 plates that run side by side in the box, locate the one the activates the 2wd/4wd, weld a plate to the top of it, drill the plate, bolt another shifter handle to it, slap the side cover back on, bolt bolt it back in. You will have to modify your floor to allow for the extra space from the new stick. when you are done, you will have 1 stick that is 2wd/4wd and 1 stick that is lo-n-hi. If you need anymore info feel free to contact me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

By the box, I assume you are refering to the shift box? That is the same thing I did. And yes it is very easy to do and will be much easier to shift from hi to low.

11. Okiemuddog

Yup, by box, I mean shifter box /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Okiemuddog

I see Russ has his used his magic "move post" button and kicked this post from his perfect Eden forum /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I forget I was boycotting that forum, and now I remember why /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. mofugly13

Um, yeah, WTF. I just spen 5 minutes over at COG looking for my post. Started to think I was goin' crazy. I posted there because I had originally posted in the Garage and after it got three pages back with no replies, I put it in there. Pretty weak I say. I am talking about actually fabbing something up from scratch in my shop. Idonno. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I have a twin stick set up on my 203 w/ part time kit. I did it because the stock shifter is a POS and never worked right. It definately is an improvement. One lever does high and low and the other does 2 wd and 4 wd. I ordered the shifter from ORD. It is a modified 205 twin stick shifter with shorter linkages. Definately worth the money and looks cool to. It came with a nice bracket, boot and knobs. It only took about 30min. to install.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Once its part timed 2Lo & 4Lo are next to each other and 2Hi & 4Hi are next to each other. At least that is how mine is. Shift in & out of 4WD at will, N only gets crossed when changing ranges.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Um, yeah, WTF. I just spen 5 minutes over at COG looking for my post. Started to think I was goin' crazy. I posted there because I had originally posted in the Garage and after it got three pages back with no replies, I put it in there. Pretty weak I say. I am talking about actually fabbing something up from scratch in my shop. Idonno. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry for the confusion, I started to leave a pointer but was in a rush. In any case, after talking with Steve today, I'll be tightening up on the CoG again. Nothing personal guys, but the CoG is intended to be only more advanced tech/fab and it is my task to try to make sure it stays that way...

<edit>
    BTW, "twin stick" on a 203 isn't really "fab" anyway. The 2 levers are already split and all you have to do is operate them separately. Hi/Lo and Lock/Open. The only fab required that I can see is the shifter. Frankly, even twin stick on a 205 does not fit in the CoG because it has been covered literally hundreds of times here and on other sites as well as at least 2 magazine articles that are on the web. A simple search will turn up far more than needed to do the job. There is nothing to discuss really, unless your building your own shifters, and that’s not even a big deal... I didn’t even post about my triple stick shifters in the CoG or even the Garage. FWIW, I’ll also be moving my fab equipment thread out here later today. I had hoped to generate some home built fab shop equipment/fixtures discussion, but it basically wound up being nothing but my pics and description. So, I’m moving my own in an effort to tighten things up. Just because it stays for a little while does not mean it will be there forever more if there is no technical merit forthcoming, even if it’s my own…

17. mofugly13

Werd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you got plenty of responses here.
    I did the same and it's not that much of a fabrication that's probably why they moved it here.
    I didn't have to do much for mine except I had it in a van so I had to have some linkages to move it to the driver side and forward.
    I like the positive feel of shifting this way.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

pics of yur setup please.......PLEASE ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

pics of yur setup please ? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif