Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

twin stick 205 is it worth it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jan 7, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i am doing a frame on my k5 and have the time to do it, but i dont understand why you would. all i will do is play in the mud would there be any benefit? i did a search and it didnt look hard at all.

thanks

nathan

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I'm all most done with mine after sitting there for about 5 months. I converted a slip yoke 205 into a fixed yoke so I was in to it all ready, figured I my as well do it. I run mud quite abit and the benefit to having it is it allows you to engage the front end and rear end independantly. This is good because it makes you very manuverable on the trail. Engage the front in low and the rear in neutral, maybe put a few clicks on the e-brake turn the wheel and hit the gas. You will spin around on a dime. If you have a 10 bolt or 44 front and you're open then you should be OK but if your locked then you might be replacing some parts. It's all about manuverability. Plus it'd be cool to put the rear in low and front in neutral and fry the tires from time to time. I had a machine shop make me a bolt complete with grease fitting and ports for each shifter for $25. The shifter over the front output can reamin unchanged but the one next to it (closest to the driver) will have to be modified. I welded up the linkage and so far so good. Planning on putting it in in a couple 3 weeks. Note that the bolt for the shifter is an odd one in every sense of the word. NO bolt company could match it. The threads are odd, the shoulder diameter is od. That's why I went with a machine shop. I tried using a larger 3/4" shoulder bolt and drilling out the shifter but that was a no go. Just burned my bit up. The way I have set things up I have the option to switch it back to normal anytime with no adverse affects.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have a write up? i did a search and found several and then serached on the net and found some more. just trying to get as many opinions and ideas as possible.

thanks

nathan

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

2 reasons I can see.

1) you can have fwd and rwd lo
    2) you are only shifting half the t-case with each lever which means it will take half the force.

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Once i get the last little piece of linkage made I'll take some pics and put them on my site. I won't have anny of the actual rails being ground or anything though, just the complete shifter setup.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

mudstud

thanks i'll be looking for your pics.

triaged

do you have it done?

nathan

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I was going to finish it up Sunday but Saturday night when I was pulling the welder back inside my, hu outdoor closet shop area, I hurt my back pretty good. It's still killing me today. I have one little piece of linkage to make and do some cutting and grinding, heating and bending on an odd shifter I got to make it work. PM me from time to time and I'll let you know when pics are up. Or just keep checking the link below.
    I've been told that this tractor shop out here has dual shifter boots for like $6. I gotta get ove there and check that out. Beats paying $35 for a dana 300 double boot.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

hey thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif next time get some help. i will have to go check at the tractor shop here maybe i will get lucky too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i will proably start mine at the end of the month. i have another 205 i should be able to use for the second handle?? i'll keep checking your website or pm you for progress.

thanks again

nathan
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

I have some 205 twin stick info here.

If you dont do it, your just lazy

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I haven't done it yet...
    It is on the list of mods (you know how that goes)

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i am gonna do it thanks for the info. i have 2 205's and time so what could i screw up? if you knew me you would have a lot of answers to that question.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifnathan

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the list is definatley way to long and with frame off it justy keeps adding up. glad i have a 3rd vehicle.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif