Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

twin stick 205 shifters w/ a Doubler

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by titanic, Jul 17, 2003.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What year is your NP205? I notice that the speedo is on the passenger side and mine is a "71" model and is on the driver side but I need a passenger side mounted for my doubler project.

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

It's a '80 model. It had a slip yoke tail shaft and I converted it-not sure what year the fixed yoke style came off of.32 spline female input shaft 205

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Only the 80 model 205s were slip-yoke, all the others are fixed...

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Actually, slip yokes were scattered through the 80's, we have a factory stock '85 1-ton with the slip.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

More details please!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I always like seeing shots like those on a bare frame, it really helps show where everything goes, and makes it a lot easier to understand than the typical "shot from under the truck with a bunch of stuff in the way and the flash washes-out most of what you're trying to photograph" type picture! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Is that the 2" NP205 rotation version? What year is that frame? Do you have any sideview pics to show overall clearance, or the relationship of the doubler setup to the framerails?

Keep those pics coming!

7. Stephen

The pics look pretty good.
    Our 3 stick has actually been shipping for the last couple months. We'll have the info on the site later today. (7/18/03)

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Cool, looks like your not going wheeling any time soon though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    On another note, looks like your kid has a Honda 50, I used to have one of those bad boys when I was a kid.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, missed that Z50 earlier. I got one of those when I was 6 years old, rode the crap out of it...

I also just noticed your running standard joint shafts. My new setup is running u-bolt 1410s all the way around, but my static angles are approaching 20* front and rear. Have you run those before (in the old burb)? Any problems or observations?

And finally, after having seen ORDs setup, I got to thinking, a logical location for the pivot would be mounted off the tapped holes in the end (for the frame mount). I was considering building one anyway, so I would just need to put the pivot on the end. Getting around the outboard rail is then the only moderately interesting problem... Might be able to just put the pivot high and put an angled end to line up with the slot...

Anyway, looking good! I really like this approach.

11. Stephen

Those two holes on the end of case are tempting, as long as you have them. And aren't using them for the factory brace. That's why we went to the bearing retainer bracket, we just couldn't count on having them available. But that would give you the best (longest) lever possible.
    I tried running a 1350 ujoint on the front of my K5 once with the GEN1 Doubler and had to clearance grind the yoke to make it work and the thing rattled like crazy above 25 mph. I went back to a CV joint pretty quick since I was driving it a lot and needed to run 4wd in the snow, or at least be able to drive around with the hubs locked without worrying about the driveshaft flying out.

12. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I ran standard joint front shaft in my old sub but I also had a 1st generation doubler that moved the transfer back a foot. New truck has the engine mounted 14" toward rear axle which makes for very little angle especially with rockwells.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My new setup is running u-bolt 1410s all the way around, but my static angles are approaching 20* front and rear. Have you run those before (in the old burb)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent driveshaft tech here:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

The 1410-series joint looks like its good up to 37 degrees /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    (Stock 1350 is only good up to 20 degrees.)

14. Stephen

Regardless of angular capability, vibration is vibration. I'm currently running drive gears and there's no way I would go away from a CV on the front. When everything is aligned right and the driveshafts are straight (which isn't that often now) I can drive highway speeds, no problem. Even with everything bent and a little crooked, 55 mph is OK. There's no way that would happen with a ujointed driveshaft. Your situations may vary but all you can change is how you deal with the problems.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, the 1410s can handle more angle without mods, but the vibes are still a potential problem. With my 4.56 axle gears (for now and near future) and 42s the shaft spins slower then some/most at a given speed. Plus, I have yet to get over 40 with mine so I'm not too concerned. Like I told Jess, if it becomes a problem, I'll get a CV from him. But for now, the tempation of *all* 1410s and interchangeable shafts is just too great... Plus, the angle of my front is no worse than the anlge of the rear (right at 20* now, but I may lower the ride height to under 4" of lift) and some people run straight shafts and 20* in the rear quite a bit without too much trouble until 55+. We shall see... may be yet another "redo" for me...

On the shifter mount. I do have the tapped end holes and I'm planning to build my own brace (the factory wouldn't work for me) to go to the frame (still debating) and forward to the bell housing (and/or motor mounts? I have the plates for the cover bars already in there).