Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

twin stick FntWD vs. frnt ARB

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RUSS84K5, Jan 10, 2002.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi
    I will start off by saying that I think the ARB,OX,MAC selectiable lockers are the best front lockers for street driveing that may require you to engage 4wd.
    My question is for off road maneuverability, will a vehicle with a twin sticked t-case (such as a NP205) while shifted into front wheel drive and rear wheel neutral with a Detroit in front, be able to turn as tight as a truck with say a front ARB,OX,MAC turned off?

Thanks
    Russ Vassar

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RUSS84K5 on 01/10/02 04:19 PM.</FONT></P>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Simple answer: NO.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

But it would turn as well as an unlocked front if you disengage the front drive and leave the back engaged. You can also leave it in rear wheel low range with the front disengaged. The advantage of open front (or open selectable locker) is that you still have differentiated front traction with front drive so you can turn better with the case in 4WD. Twin stick really shines with a front auto-locker (disengage front to make a turn) AND when you have rear "tractor brakes" with front drive engaged you can turn on a dime.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have to leave the rear open to use the "tractor brake" function? I think that if you have a locker in the back, then hitting one brake will stop the whole rear end. I guess that an ARB would be the hot ticket for this. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

definitly would,
    lock the rear parking brakes turn the fronts to full lock and it will turn on a dime exactly why twin sticks are popular isnt it?

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. BadDog

You use "tractor brakes" with the rear drive disengaged at the case, so it does not matter as long as you do not have a spool. The locked (brake) tire on the back is stationary and the outside will over run the locker. In this case, a locker will actually work better than a friction/clutch LS which would tend to lurch and jump I think.

Russ

7. BadDog

MJ, does that still work with a front auto locker? I'm thinking that with both rear brakes locked, the front turned, and a front auto locker, there would be a problem. Honestly, I can't quite picture exactly what would happen in this case. Both fronts spinning/turning at the same rate, but at an angle to the frame, with both back tires locked. I've seen it work quite well with a front locker and tractor brakes but, locking that outside back wheel changes things I think. Hmmm....

Russ