Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Twin Stick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

How Many of you run twin sticked 205's
    I have a Truck I am building and I was thinging about twin sticking it i talked to kyle at northwest fab and he said it would be about 135 or so for the kit and you do the rails, but I do drive on the street any imput?
    :doah:

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Check this out. I followed those directions and made my own sticks (tripple actually) and have been very happy with it. However, talking to the guys at ORD, grinding the rails removes the heat treat (only surface treated) and the newly ground detent ramps can wear over time. I guess ideally you could get some casinite or something and re(surface)harden the shafts after a good polish. I guess it just depends on how many times you shift it, but it has not been a problem on my "lawn ornament" (been down for a while ;) ) ORD will do your rails for you, (Stephen's father does them and does a mild flame hardening on the ramps, not sure how effective it is...) and they actually machine them accurately, eliminating any of the potential problems mentioned on my site.

3. ProJunkRacing

i was looking at getting it from northwest fab said they would have it done in a few weeks

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why waste your money now? you havent even driven the truck, much less wheeled it. maybe you'll like the stock setup just fine. i think you're beginning to fall into the very same trap that i fell into when i started the buildup. things got too big, too fast.

5. ProJunkRacing

i can see where your coming from there i guess

right now i am having a hell of a time finding damn seals for that trans/t case the one i get is wrong any ideas

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Cmon now, that is pushing it. ORD I am sure grinds them just perfectly but heat treating with a torch is a marginal guess at best. The detent ball is held down by a spring. How much wear do you think that little spring is going to do to your shaft? I am not bagging on Stephen, he stated facts, but as a consumer you need to look at those and decide whats what.

I milled mine using the specs on a web site (I think it was alaska4x) and they have worked fine. I would be shocked to see any wear from that spring loaded ball after even 10yrs of service. I have access to a heat treating oven at work and wouldn't even bother, never occured to me. I don't think I will be rushing out to pull it apart and heat treat it now either :D

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I tend to agree, just mentioning it in the FWIW column, and that's also why I said, "not sure how effective it is". And to be fair, when I talked to his father, he said himself it was marginal. I do recall someone a while back mention wear issues over time, but don't remember any details and the grind could have been marginally overboard to start with. <shrug>