Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

two cars in a parkingm lot abandoned, wonder how to get them ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 8, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in state of IL you hahve to have title to vehicles to legally posess, own, salvage, or junk them, anyoen who resides in IL knows this and knows that bill of sales dont exist and are useless here,

so knowing that much i need ideas how i can take posession of two cars i know of that have been sitting in a nice paved parking lot in front of local aldis grocery store and dollar general and a strip of other smaller stores here in town,

i figure in a couple more days when snow melts away then ill go and look in the cars for keys titles, and if they are in themhighly unlikely) then ill take them for scrap or fix and drive,
    theres are no plates on either car and both are sitting next to each other, a 90 or so buick fwd car and a late 80s toyota car,

there is no one to ask in any of the stores who have any idea about them, and im surprised they havent been towed off all these months or police tow away ticketed, etc,.

what do you think ?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Find the actual owner of the property, not the businesses leading space there. Offer to pay the fees ( storage lein, etc.) to get new titles for the vehicles, and offer to haul them off.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I think that you are about to commit auto theft. It doesn't really matter if they are abandoned or not... they are not your cars and not on your property so there is not much you can do about it (legally). You can talk to the property owner and see if they want to have the cops come out and do the abondon vehicle stuff, or you can get the VIN and try and track down the legal owner... other than that if you go take them it is theft any way you want to look at it. So you have to weigh the options, and see if it is worth the risk of going to jail for a 90's Buick and a Toyota that you don't even know if run...

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i just want them for scrap, and its not theft if signed titles ar ein them, they are on public parking lot at retail stores lot, not a car palce or anything like that lol

i think we are not all on the same page here

they have plates removed, gone, nothing, and have been sitting same spot for months, IE abandoned, but if i find titles then they are going to be legally mine, thats IL law

thanks though

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its a PITA to gain possesion

My friend had to deal with several abandoned cars "customers" left at his repair shop after they learned the cost of repairs exceeded the vehicles worth--in our state,you have to track down the owner by running the plate or VIN# thru the police or RMV computer,and send them a letter of intent to scrap the vehicle by registered mail(they have to sign for it when the mailman delivers it,so you have proof they received it)--most of them ignored or refused the letters,or simply did not even live here anymore(more than one moved to florida!)..the others came up with a title so he could scrap them--

As for the other cars with no plates,and one had NO VIN tag(!),no way to identify who owned it last,the junkyards can take them for parts if they apply for a salvage title--but most of them go in the crusher(shhhhhhh)--and most of the scrapyards that only crush the cars and buy iron,not the junkyards,will accept any metal you bring if it no longer looks like a car--in other words,cut them up into smaller peices:hack: :hack: :weld: :weld: :grind: :grind: and no one asks any questions...

But I would check with a police officer or DMV official to see what your state requires-it would not be fun to get arrested for grand theft auto for a junk toyota that will bring 80 bucks at the crusher if your lucky,when the previous owner decides they want it back,it does happen--one car sat at K-Mart for 6 months before they had it towed away--a few months later an elderly man sued them for scrapping it--he was in the hospital recovering from a stroke,no one ever looked at the car for a long time.thinking it belonged to an employee of a nearby store...My friend was threatened with physical harm when the owner of one of the cars abandoned at his shop found out it was scrapped--but he didnt scrap it,the new owner of the building and property did--several windows have been smashed there..all over a junk dodge caravan with a broken bellhousing,a rapping motor,and 3 smashed widows(blamed on vandals,but I bet the owner did it,hoping for insurance money)....

I'd say look for easier pickings,unless the laws are more in the scrappers favor in your state,or you dont mind cutting them into peices--a lot of time and effort for little reward..:crazy:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I wanted a abandoned truck out a a storage facility and talked to the manager of the place about buying it from her. What she needed to do to get rid of it was to get a form from the DMV and have a public auction of the vehicle.

7. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

if you take the cars, you are stealing them.

Because it is on private property, the cops cant do anything until the shopping mall owner calls the cops and tells them to tow the vehicles away from the property. And then they usually end up at an impound lot.

You need to write down the VIN number, and go to the DMV or call the state up. And they can get you the owners info and you will need to contact the owners. And if they dont have the title, then they need to pay a fee for a lost title.

The only way you can do it somewhat legal, is for you to contact the owner and they give you a receipt for the car and you part it out. And they need to contact the state, that their car has been scrapped.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

receipts does nothing in IL, just title,

thanks

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

storage facility would be a whole different deal, sounds like they get title to vehicle then, otherwise there would be no way they could put it in an auction, its no their car legally unless they posess the title, all tghey could do is have it removed

thanks

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the shredder yards are very lax here, i have witnessed many many tons of cars going to shredder with no or incorrect titles, more than i could ever recount,

im just gonna look throguh the cars for titles and go from there

thanks

11. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

down here in miss. our laws have probably not caught up with everyone elses, but in order to gain title to ab abandoned vehicle you must.

1. get permission from the property owner in writing to remove the vehicals.
    2. write down vin# and contact the dmv for last registerd owners and try to contact by mail.
    3. if no reply within 30 days you must advertise in the paper for 30 days that you are looking for the owners of the cars.
    4. and if no lagitament title holding party comes forth then you may apply for a salvage title from the dmv.

at least thats the way i was told you had to take care of it by a tow truck driver.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

MS is gonna be a whole different world regarding laws, especially vehicle related ones

i would need to know IL laws, ever state is different in soem way or another in relation to this topic, some states differ drastically, hell some states dont even require title transfers when transferring ownership of vehicles and aloow you to us a slip of paper caleld a bill of sale, which is insane to me, also soem states require notarization, such as WY, i found that out the hard way when i went to casper and got the 82 trans am, that was no fun!!

IL does not use bills of sale or notarizations, just title and thats it, no title then no car, no other way, and no other how, no exceptions, cant junk or register or anything a vehicle without a title in your posession and in your name, or you get big big fines and trouble with law, the police say its a federal crime to posess an open title, or illegally transferred one, etc and i know of many ppl that have been put into prison for posessing titles not signed or forged or signed inproperly,

no joke

none of its a joke

so thats why i want to look in the cars for titles, and have to be signed and printed name by current titled owner for me to legally posess them

i know how it works, the problem though is if the titles are in them or not,

thats all

if i find titles then ill most likely not call any of the stores, but i might, i dunno

odds are against titles being in them

thanks