Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two different 6.5 head gaskets???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Aug 13, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Wich 6.5 do you use on a 6.2? I have 6.5 on my truck now and they might be the wrong ones?? Thanks Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Not exactly sure of your question. Felpro lists two different head gaskets one for 6.2, the other for 6.5. The word from The Diesel Page is to use the 6.5 gaskets (even on a 6.2 engine) as it has improve sealing qualities. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Actually the word from the diesel page is that you should use head gaskets made by detroit diesel on a 6.2. They used to recommend that you use felpro 6.5 head gaskets until it was found that the 6.5 head gaskets would allow a coolant leak on some 6.2's. This is exactly what has happend to me. 2 years ago I put in felpro 6.5 head gaskets and just recently one of them started leaking. A couple bottles of bars leaks seems to have stoped it for now.

4. 84CUCV

Kind of sucks to find out about that now that they are on. Well, I am looking at a 6.5 from a hummve. So i might put that in anyway. Is a 6.5 really worth it??? I could just get a banks turbo.Thanks for the help Mike

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Wow that does suck. I know of a couple of trucks running the 6.5 gaskets right now. Where did it start leaking from?

6. 84CUCV

Dieseldan, I just put the 6.5 gaskets on. I don't even have the rockers back on yet. Work is crazy now. I have been doing it in the time I can get in. I am wondering if it is worth it to take the heads of now and get the 6.2 gaskets instead. In the future this truck is going to have propane and a turbo. It does not look like the 6.5 is going to work out. I really appreciate all the help from everyone on here. Mike

7. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

The drivers side head on my truck started leaking from the left front corner. The potential to leak is supposedly due to an unused coolant passage that isn't sealed properly with the 6.5 head gaskets. Dr. Lee on the diesel page said he suspected that leak would remain external (i.e. no leaking into the combution chamber or oil) and he suggested using Bar's Leaks in the cooling system to try to stop it. I did and it seems to have stoped for now. I regularly do oil analysis on my truck and hopefully that will tell me if the leak is spreading.