Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two Female Astronauts Are Skydivers.... Laura Clark Is One...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Feb 9, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

There are at least two Astronauts who have participated in the Shuttle Program and flown in the shuttle who are Skydivers. (my other sport of choice) One is a woman who has two missions under her belt and just participated in the Worlds Record 300 way Skydive! Here's a pic of the formation that they got together from 20,000 feet using 14 airplanes.

[​IMG]

Her name is Mary Ellen Weber and she is now installed in the book of records as a participant of the largest successfull freefall formation in the world ever accomplished.

The other female astronaut who was a skydiver was Laura Clark. She was killed in the Columbia Disaster. She was ordered to quit skydiving in 1993 in order to train to become an astronaut. She had around 200 jumps when she had to quit for training.

Just something that I thought I would share with you. It hits kind of close to home. Our sport is much like Wheeling when it comes to our friends being killed... No matter how they go, we all feel a sense of loss....

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is truly amazing. Thank you for sharing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Interesting bit of info. Sad too.
    I could never jump out of a plane. NO WAY! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif