Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two handles and one lock or.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Jun 3, 2006.

?

Lock box question, opinions wanted

1. One handle and two locks

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Two handles and one lock in the middle

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I'm nekkid and my lock is bigger than yours

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've been working on this lock box for the jimmy for a couple weeks and now I"m going to put the lock hardware and handle(s) on it. The box measures 48in X 24in X 21 in tall. It's made of 1/8 steel diamond plate. My question is: should I do two locks (one on each end on the front) and one handle in the middle on the front OR one lock in the middle and two handles on each side on the front lip? the box is pretty heavy so two handle would be nice, but 2 locks would really discourage anybody from trying to brake into it. I'm going to attach all of my hardware with 1/4 inch steel rivets. Thanks for any and input. Joining this website is the best thing that I ever did for my truck. Thanks.:bow:

5-29 016.jpg

5-30 005.jpg

5-31 001.jpg

5-31 002.jpg

5-32 002.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i would vote for two handles and one lock. if they are gonna cut off one lock to get in they will cut off two.

3. littlejimmythatcould

yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking, plus doing two handles and one lock will make it easier to install everything since I will be able to get rivet squeezers on everthing except the loop for the lock hasp. Cool, I appreciate your response, I've been waiting all day for someone to give me some reassurance. And I think it will look better too with on lock in the middle and two handles. thanks.:bow:

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I like the one lock in the middle!!

If the box is going to be removeable then I would do 2 handles on each end. Makes it easier to carry so you don't have to balance it or try to carry with just one hand on each end. Just a thought. I had a box about that size in construction and the best thing I ever did was put two handles on each end. Far easier for people to help throw in the back of the truck.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

On my box I have a handle on each end and one lock in the middle and have a hasp on either side of the lock.

6. littlejimmythatcould

yeah, I just got back from Lowes with the 2 handles for the front and I kept the hasp that I had in the picture earlier. I was going to make it permanent in the truck for a kind of "trunk" since I usually drive around with the top off. I should have welded handles on the side of it though. But me and a few of my buddies should be able to put it up in the truck.... now I just got to get the beer to get them over here...