Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two Questions For Ya??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

First want to say thanks to everybody that has answered my questions before you have been a big help:thumb:
    First question - I have lifted my 81 K10 sub 3inches in the front and want to know witch is better to help steering. A droped pitman arm or a raised steering arm? I know some people say not to worry unless you do 4inches or more but I would like to do one or the other.

Second question - I installed a new 10blt this weekend (I know, I wish I could afford a d60 but I CAN'T :mad: ) So anyway it came with the cheapo plastic warn manuel hubs in it. I happened to be at advanced auto for something and there on a shelf was a box of the warn premo hubs so a bought them. When I went to put them in and I pulled of the plastic hubs what is inside (the mechanizim that slides over the outer shaft) looks just like what came in the set I bought. So do I need to pull the existing out or are they the same and I can just swap on the shinny new hubs themselves??
    THANKS

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the steering, if one is better than the other, hope someone else can chime in. But I know, if you have the proper pitman arm puller, it will be a lot easier to replace the pitman arm than the steering arm. I was able to get the pitman arm off of a box in the junk yard in about 10 seconds. They sell the puller at Sears, and the like. I never had to replace the steering arm, but I hear they can be a big pain.

As for the hubs, I would change the internals. Only things holding them in are the large snap ring around the inside of the hub and the smaller snap ring on the end of the axleshaft. If they came with the new hubs (they should) then I would replace the internals. Easy to replace when you already have them torn down.

3. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Well the 10blt I bought is "new". It's a military surplus so it was still in it's original crate. Should I still replace the internals? Also whats a good greese for putting inside the hubs? Where can I get it and how much should I put in there?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

DON'T correct the steering with only 3" of lift. A 4" raised arm needs a 5 to 6" of lift not to cause bump steer. A dropped pitman (least they do is 2" I believe) may be ok but I'd recommend you do neither. I've been down that route before I went crossover and have tried them both.
    That's my experience on a softly sprung '91.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure the regular warn's and the premium's are the same thing....but one has a plastic knob, and the other has a metal or metal looking knob.

Thats it. Internals are the same.

I havent' seen them personally.....but Willywanter explained this once.....where is that guy anyway?