Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

two questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Jul 22, 2001.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 with a 305 4spd, I have two questions. first, was under the truck which I use daily, and noticed two leaks one which is coming from the rear of the transfer case where the driveshaft part comes out. secondly the fuel line is leaking where the rubber extenions is (under passenger seat),tried to correct with new rubber and made worse , brittle lines. I've never bent lines before and not sure how to do it. how much should I expect to pay for this job. and the leaking transfer case? thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I paid 4 bucks for the rear seal for the TC last weak at Kragen, which was interesting detailed in the Non-4x4 forum. Didn't stop the leak, so I'm thinking it's coming from the case halves. Wasn't not a hard job, except it broke my seal puller so I had to use a screwdriver, which is hard due to the aluminum case. Total time, 15 minutes.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you order the hard fuel line from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.inlinetube.com>www.inlinetube.com</a> you should not have to much trouble installing it your self.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I would take that the lines come pre bent.. has anyone done this job. Is it difficult. the thing is I CAN'T FIT THE BLAZER IN my garage that leaves the driveway which is sloped downward.ie not very safe. which leave the street. I live in the city. plus i'm thinking that while i'm there i'm por 15 the fram where the rails lay first. the car has a minor gas leak which i can see cause the area is wet after driving. not safe i know not to mention wasted gas. how long can i leave this like it is while i wait for the lines. and another thing these lines are brittle from rust if i start hacking murphy's law is bound to take affect.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've heard if you fill the tube with sand or fine powdered dirt it won't kink when you bend it. Just rinse it out well!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

have the same leak, and replaced the seal, and still leaking, think the yoke is monkeyed up, but it is real easy to change the seal (even in the driveway)
    i personally find it very offensive to have a K5 refered tp as a "CAR"
    good luck with the fuel line, but i think i might try just cutting the hard line a little shorter, and increasing the length of the rubber. but then i have driven for extended periods with no rear brakes, so safety is not alwways as high a priority as some

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

you should be aware that depending on which tranny/transfer case you have that they have the possibility of being swapped around therefore 2 different seals, 2 different part numbers. I went through 4 seals, all from G.M., they were the ones with the long rubber seal, this using the serial # and G.M.s' parts book it should have worked. Didn't. Turns out the 350 seal fits my 700R4. Weird huh?
    Shawnboy

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

ok now i am really confused
    the seal went into the houseing ok, but it still leaks around the shaft
    are you saying the rubber ring around the yoke may be to small???

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

9. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

Truck, TRUCK,TRUCK I MEAN TRUCK. IS THER ANY DANGER TO RIDING WITH LONGER LENGTH RUBBER ON MY TRUCK.

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Further to what Shawnboy said; depending on the vehicle &amp; the previous owner; if there was one; the driveshaft may be the cause of the leaking seal. When I first got my 89, the owner gave me a spare shaft he had from a buddy who had an older Blazer. When I swapped it in with a new seal, it continued to leak. When I got a new Tom Woods shaft, the fit into the back of the t-case was MUCH tighter &amp; the leak stopped. My guess was that the seal was fine but the "free" shaft was not a good fit &amp; left room around the seal for a leak.

Worth a look

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't see any danger in it, but make sure you get fuel injection hose, not just rubber hose, with two clamps at each connection. Fuel line hose won't decay from the petroleum based fuel running through it, while other hose will, very quickly. Fuel injection hose is also made to hold higher pressure's, although that's less of a concern than instant rot...
    You can run a lot of the fuel system through the correct grade rubber hose, but one thing you should be wary of: the sender unit at the gas tank. If your lines are that rotted, the sender probably is also at the top of the tank, which is roughly a $200 part. Don't mess with that one until you can afford to run out and grab the part in case you need it (and you may not need it).
    Man, too bad I have to get my truck and my wife's car inspected today, or I'd come out there and give you a hand while I'm off from work.

For the seal, be very careful! I chipped my 208 output housing changing the seal. <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/images%5Cmisc%5CDSC01067.jpg>k5.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/images%5Cmisc%5CDSC01067.jpg</a> It still leaks, so I'm assuming it's the case halves, and when I get several hours altogether, I'm going to take it apart and reseal it.

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 07/23/01 08:05 AM.</FONT></P>

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a leak at teh back of my t-case as well. I cleaned everything real good at the car wash and drove it for a while. I found the leak was not coming from the rear seal of the t-case but rather from the yoke itself. I had a nice spray pattern on the bottom of the truck just above the end of the yoke/u-joint. I took it to a tranny shop to get their opinion. They said the cap in the middle of the yoke must be leaking. They recommended getting the cap re-welded or getting a new yoke. I am picking one up from a guy on here in OK Sunday. Will let you know how it is after replacement.

I plan to replace the seal while I have the yoke out. Anyone have the different part nos for these seals?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>