Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

two quick questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

First question.....what is the wieght of a humvee wheel? just trying to figure out shipping cost.

second question... whats your thoughts on running 6.17 gears with no larger than 42s?

Thanks for any advice. I just scored a D60 and D70 out of a dually for almost nothing and I think this is the avenue I would like to explore.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I think the Hummers are about 55 lbs each, if I remember correctly.

As for the gears, I'd say go for it. I will be running 5.86's with 42's, it wont be anything I'd want to do regular interstate traveling with but certainly still very streetable. I have a friend with a Dodge W350 crew cab with 6.17 and 39's and it's actually very nice to ride in. I would recommend synthetic gear oil though simply because the higher r&p rpms may generate higher than average (but safe) axle operating temps.

FWIW - I originally intended to buy 6.17's for my set up. The only reason I didn't get them was because I got my (new in the box) 5.86's through a trade.

3. Jeromy Gibson

well mine is a trailer queen, and your lucky to see 50mph in the river bed before having to shut it down for the next water crossing. now I have a sm465 and 205 if that makes a difference.

4. nvrenuf

If it's a trailer queen maybe think about 7.17's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif (I'm serious)

I would like to have gone that low but mine will probably see just enough street action to make it impractical.

5. Jeromy Gibson

any strenght issues? the problem is it will be awhile before I could afford 42s so I would be stuck wheeln 37 or 38 for awhile. I also run the mud bogs with the club I am in to support member turn out. I am not real competive but I don't like being imbarrased. any thoughts on running 7.17 for a trailrig that see more mud than rock.

6. nvrenuf

The only real input I have on strength issue is that the 6.17 and 7.17 have the same number of pinion teeth so I would think one would not be weaker than the other. I know a guy that ran 7.17's with 39's and his only problem was operating temps killing the gear oil, swapping to synthetic fixed this.

There currently is a thread on Pirate in the General4x4 section questioning the strength of 7.17's and the genral concensous is they are fine. There is can be a problem with the ring gear cracking at the base of the teeth but that's from shock loading the axles (wheel hopping at full throttle, etc).

I'm primarily mud also, I don't see any issues with running the big gears. If the ratio is too deep you can always use a higher gear (start off in 3rd instead of 2nd when bogging). The only real problem I see is by running a huge gear on smaller tires you're going to get spoiled by the feel of the gear. Once you get the 42's you wont have any options to compensate for the drag of the bigger tire.

7. nvrenuf

8. Jeromy Gibson

9. nvrenuf

Oh yeah, I forgot, be sure to post some pics!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Jeromy Gibson

you would never believe what I payed for my axles, A rifle I payed 150 for 9 years ago and a computer that I hadn't pluged in in over a year. As for as the pics go, I will have to find a place to host them.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

cardomain.com /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif