Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

two quick questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i have two quick questions for you guys. hope you can help..

1st. are the ball joints for the 10blt the same ball joints that a dana 44 uses?

2nd. i need some help/advice for wireing up a volt guage.
    i have dual batteries and i want to put a volt guage on the second battery so i can see where its at charge wise. I bought a volt guage and the instructions say to ground the black wire, and hook the red wire to an ignition switched power source..simple enough but that gonna tell me the volts of the main battery and i already have a guage for that. so whats the best way to hook it up to the second battery? i don't want to just wire it straight to the battery, cause then it would cause a draw, and the wires on the guage are small and i don't think they would last..so do i need a relay or something? who has done this and whats works best?...

thanks.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Are the batteries connected directly or are you running an isolator? If they are connected in parallel without an isolator, the voltage will wlways be the same...

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

1. Balljoints are the same.

2. If both are connected together, the volts are the same. But, if not, could you use a simple toggle switch to turn off/on the new volt gauge? Maybe a small inline fuse to the switch?

John

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

they are isolated,

i have a three position switch. 1st position only main battery is hooked up..
    2nd position the second battery gets charged along with the main battery. 3rd position the two batteries are conneected together to "jump start" the main battery if needed..

and i always tend to forget to flip the switch to charge the second battery..so i wanted a gauge so i could have a visual "reminder" to flip the switch and charge it up

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Just wire up a relay to connect the guage to the 2nd battery when the ignition is on.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

bingo easy and wont leave gauge on all the time to drain battery.