Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two rigs: 1 small income!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, Oct 2, 2003.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Okay fellas, I have a '90 K-5 with 10-bolts, 4-spd manual and I don't know the other particulars other than it's a stock scottsdale. I got it from an Idaho fish and game auction. I also have a '76 jeep cherokee in good shape. It has dana 44's front and back and what seems to be a bullet proof drive train that's got a serious granny gear. I've enjoyed the jeep but let's face reality, it's not a K-5! I'm waiting on a $2000 dollar check and thought I'd replace the timing chain on the cherokee and sell it. Everyone figures it could fetch $2000- $3000 perty easy. I had it in the paper for $1000 when it had no juice (needed positive batt term. cleaned) and had a buyer 1st day out sight unseen. I had 4 calls on day 1 and about 15 calls across 5 days. I like both rigs but can only afford the one. The K-5 is the coolest and the cherokee has wiring "temperments", etc. Now that I've got you yawning; should I rob the jeep or sell it and buy new stuff for my K-5? Would the 44's fit and are they much of an upgrade from the 10 bolts anyway? If I yanked the 44's could I get a decent price for the remaining rig? I'm sure you gurus have personal experience on similar situations and can think of things I haven't considered. By the way, this will be a daily driver that goes up in the mountains for hunting and camping. I'm going with a 4" lift and 33's or 35's. I like the classic mild lift, moderately stuffed wheel wells look. Basicly, the daily driver with an attitude.
    If your still reading this thanks alot for staying awake. Your comments will be appreciated and your smart remarks graded so make 'em count!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

44s are not an upgrade for a k5, same as the 10 bolts that are in there.

Sell the Jeep, its worthless to you. Heavy duty parts have to come from something bigger than a K5, for example, a K30. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ditch the Jeep and sink the money into the K-5. Sounds like the mechanical gremlins are starting to creep around the Jeep anyway. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Allan

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    <snerp boring stuff> Would the 44's fit and are they much of an upgrade from the 10 bolts anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

the D44 and 10b are almost identical in strength... no sense in swapping one for the other unless one is busted and you just happen to have the other lying around.

[ QUOTE ]
    If I yanked the 44's could I get a decent price for the remaining rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I dont think of half ton axles as having much value... but I guess jeepers actually consider them "beefy" so maybe they would sell pretty well to that crowd seperately. Personally, I wouldn't wanna deal with the hassle of selling the stuff seperatly unless I already had a buyer for the remainder of the rig and he/she planned on putting even bigger axles in it anyway and therefore didnt want the d44s.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure you gurus have personal experience on similar situations and can think of things I haven't considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

if I had ever owned a jeep, I surely wouldnt admit it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    By the way, this will be a daily driver that goes up in the mountains for hunting and camping. I'm going with a 4" lift and 33's or 35's. I like the classic mild lift, moderately stuffed wheel wells look.

[/ QUOTE ]

if thats what its gonna be used for, I'd prolly go with 33s personally. You prolly wont have to change gear ratios for 33s, and the 10 bolts will hold up better with less tire on em.

[ QUOTE ]
    Basicly, the daily driver with an attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, did the part of the message that I snerped say something about 1-ton axles or something? "attitude" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

for the time and money involved in swapping and making the parts fit, it would not be worth it, the 10 and 44 are pretty much on par with each other on strength, a mild upgrade on strength in the rear would be a 12 bolt, if you plan on just keeping 33/35's and using it as dd driver and weekend getaway, i would stick with the gm stuff and keep it simple
    also, if you yanked the axles out of the cherokee and tried to sell it, you have just lost a considerable profit because then the potential buyer has to find axles for it, and that is too much hassle for most people

my .02

6. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Thanks for the advice and info guys. I wanted to sell the jeep but was afraid I might be losing usable parts. I appreciate ya'll settin' me straight on the axle comparison. Jekbrown, I think you're right 'bout runnin' 33's. You also get points for your jeep ownership smart remark!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well opinions are like....

Well you know

Keep the jeep, throw some cheap mudders on it, fix the electrical. Sell the K5 and use remaining monies to invest in 401K or mutual funds...You'll come out way ahead in the future!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep the jeep, throw some cheap mudders on it, fix the electrical. Sell the K5 and use remaining monies to invest in 401K or mutual funds...You'll come out way ahead in the future!

[/ QUOTE ]
    WHAT! this is COLRADO K5 , I thought we are all chevy guys!I hate jeeps! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The jeep axles are not even wide enough to fit the K5 so dont worry about swapping in those axles...

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

rear 44 on theat jeep is also offset, so take note of that.... may run into some gremlins later on with that as well...

11. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

sell the jeep the k5 is way newer and has the beauty of fuel injection. parts are way more plentiful for the k5. it is virtually impossible for those jeep 44's to fit under a k5 plus its not even worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif