Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two ??'s.. Disc brake rear and 8 lug front..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Sep 8, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Two ??\'s.. Disc brake rear and 8 lug front..

I've got two questions here. First, I want to make my 10 bolt up front into an 8lug. I have the inner hub assembly with the bearings, backing plates, and rotors. Is there anything else I need ? Is there anything I can do to make this axle any stronger ?
    Question #2 is that I want to have rear disc on my 14BFF. I purchased some brackets from Great Lakes Off Road, some 3/4 ton rotors, some caddy calipers to keep my e-brake, and a proportioning valve from Summit. Do I need to get a 3/4 ton booster of will the one I have now work ? Anything else I need ? Thanks,

-Nick

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Two ??\'s.. Disc brake rear and 8 lug front..

#1. That should be all you need to convert a 10 bolt to 8 lug.

#1a. There are plenty of things you can do to make a 10 bolt stronger but the cost benefit ratio comes into question. My advice is put in some new quality axle ujoints (Spicer, Neapco) and tach weld the ujoint caps to the axleshafts. Then do good maintainence on the axle. Replace the balljoints if necessary, bearings, etc. Keep it in good running order with a good set of lockout hubs and that is about the best you can do. If you need to get stronger then that then you are talking $500-800 in chromoly axleshafts and $350 in CTM ujoints.

Carry spare parts is also a good idea for a 10 bolt front. I am running my 10 bolt front with 4.56 gears, locker,& 35" MTR's in the rocks. It is all stock components except for the Warn hubs and the tach welded ujoint caps. 5-6 runs and sofar so good. I have lots of spare parts for it though because I know I will probably break it one day.

#2. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

#1....What he said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

#2....I swapped to a 3/4ton when I did mine only cause mine was bad anyways and needed replacing. But to answer your question, no idea if it will make a difference.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

#2 the bigger master cylinder has a bigger piston and resavore so you will get better performance out of you rear disks, you may not even need the proportioning valve, every truck is different when it comes to that.
    Have you figured out how youy are going to hook up your e-brake yet?? I am in the process of doing that on mine.

5. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

No I havent yet figured out how I am going to hook up the e-brake. I am told that by using the 76-78 Cadillac El Dorado Calipers, that I should be able to keep my e-brake. I am not quite sure beyond that though. Thanks.

-Nick

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    every truck is different when it comes to that

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have my 1/2 ton booster and so far it is just like stock was before I went to disk's
    No lock up and no mushy pedal feel

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I had to by pass the stock proportioning valve to get my rear discs to work. I put an adjustable one on in its place and even when cranked all the way down the rear still locks up before the front but its pretty even and I stop quick so no worries (yea I know the stock one is shot).

One question do they make the hub fuses for the 10 bolt? Seems if someone is going to run 35's or smaller that is alot easier to replace than an axle or ring and pinion.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Warn hub fuses will fit in Warn Premium hubs for a 10 bolt front axle. The problem is that you can't run a locker in the front axle with hub fuses. When the hub fuse breaks it will most likely break your locker. So to run hub fuses you must run an ARB air Locker, spool, limited slip, or open.

Harley

9. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Um oh yea that 10 bolt stuff is the same as the 44 stuff isnt it.
    I didnt think of the locker thing.