Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TWO ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Mar 8, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

TWO ?\'s

My wifes car (Toyota Camry) has a dran plug on the Trans. Pan for draining the Trans Fluid(just like oil pan). I love this set up. Can I do this to the pan in the 87K5 and how? Also my fuel gauge is on the fritz. Sometimes it reads correctly some times it doesnt. Where should I start on this problem? Ok that is three ?'s Thanks for any help. And please dont hate me because I own a toyota......

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

one answer

i'm sure you could purchase a pan with a plug. i don't know about a modification to stock, but why the hell not? and use a magnetic plug, it collects all (most) of the metal shavings in there.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: TWO ?\'s

I think summit racing sells tranmission pan with drain plugs. I remember seeing it in their catlog and I'm thinking of getting one myself. It cost around $30 at the most. Check them out.
    Boss

4. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Find a good sized nut/bolt combo. (short bolt so it won't stick up in the pan when tight) with a teflon or like seal, take it and your pan to a <font color=red>competent</font color=red> welder and have the nut welded in. It's cheap, easy, and works great. I think there are also kits with an inner and outer fitting and bolt that wouldn't require welding. Try Summit or Jeg's websites for that....

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

5. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

B & M makes a drain plug kit for any tranny
    most autozoned and advanced auto parts sell them they are like 10 bucks you need to drop the pan and drill a 1/2" hole for the mounting. Or you can buy a pan with the plug allready installed, either way you need to remove the old pan.

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

6. K5experience

K5experience Registered Member

Go to Discount Auto Parts or just about any parts store and you can get the same drain plug kit that B&M sells for about $2.00. As for your fuel gauge it is most likly the gauge, I work on quit a few M1008s&9s at work and we have that problem alot with the gauges. But before you start messing with gauge check the wiring at the sending unit on top of the gas tank. Hopes this helps. <font color=orange>HAVE YOU DRIVEN OVER A</font color=orange> <font color=blue>FORD</font color=blue><font color=orange>LATLY</font color=orange>

7. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh yes toyota built by the people who brought you pearl harbor. but it's ok we forgive and forget. the tranny pan can be done two ways one is to go to the auto parts store, look for the (HELP!) section and they should have a small kit $2.00 or so ....or have a nut welded to the pan and buy a plug to fit it. Usually the gas gauge prob. is the guage itself or your wire shorting out. check for shorts first then pull out your gauge and use an ohm meter to make sure it works.good luck!

IT'S A BLAZIN PAST THAT JEEP THING...YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you want to be real slick hit Pep Boys and get the Hayden Temp kit for the tranny. It comes with a fitting for installing the probe in the pan. When you need to drain you just remove the wire and screw the sender out. The Gage is nice if you do a lot of wheeling or Towing. Lets you know if your baking the tranny.
    As for the Toyota...I got one also...89 Supra.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper