Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two snap rings on front locking hubs??? I only have one....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Aug 25, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have redone my front bearings several times.....enough times to almost be able to do it in my sleep. When I changed out my 6 lugs for 8 lugs
    I reused my same old spindles. The "appeared" to be identical to the spindles from the 8 lug used parts I had obtained. Now, when reassembling the front bearing/hub assemblies
    the front axle did not seem to come out as far as it did with the 6 lug - but that did not seem to matter. I was able to get it all together and even was able to install the
    outer snap ring that holds the auto hubs in place but there was NO 2nd SNAP RING. The other snap ring (I guess it is the 2nd) goes on before the hubs along with a thin spacer/washer.

It snapped into a notch in the front axle just after it leaves the spindle. Even if there was a 2nd snap ring for the front hubs, there is no place for it to go.. The front axle does not come out
    far enough for a snap ring to be installed......so......where is the 2nd snap ring with auto hubs.......did I assemble mine wrong......

Chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The one big snap ring holds the whole mess in (inside snap ring). On auto hubs, you've got an outside snap ring on the shaft itself too.

If you got manual hubs, throw the outside snap ring away.

3. 1986Blazer

OK.....but.....does the snap ring that goes on the shaft itself go on before the hub is installed or after??

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

5. 1986Blazer

I do not see how. The snap ring that goes ON the axle shaft itself can only go on if the axle shaft sticks out of the end of the auto hub. This is where the end cap bearing goes....so no part of the shaft can stick out.

The ring I am speaking of requires snap ring pliers to remove. Is there any exploded views available....

Does the snap ring that is being referred to go on the hub itself???

Right now, I have the snap ring in a groove that is on the axle shaft just barely outside the spindle. Anyother help??

CHris

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The larger snap ring around the groove in the bearing hub housing that holds the lock out body in is the main snap ring you need to worry about. Without this ring, the body won't stay in.

Using the smaller snap ring on the stub shaft will depend totally if it will fit or not. If it will fit, use it. But if it won't fit, don't worry about it as it's not a vital part of the assembly since the larger snap ring is the more important item to hold the lockout body in.

I have done this about 50-50 of the time. Some rings fit back on the stub shaft and some did not. Those that did not fit, I did not worry about them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

is it a corporate 10 bolt front axle? the last and only GM 10 bolt 8 lug i worked on didnt have the inner snap ring. seemed kind of odd but its been in service a long time, no problems.

mike

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Wes, without the snap ring on the stub axle won't that allow the stub axle to not seal correctly on the seal between the stub axle and spindle allowing dirt and water to get in there?

9. 1986Blazer

I do not see how the snap ring helps with sealing out water. It could have some function preventing the axle shaft from moving out or in - kinda like a thrust washer - but I doubt that.

Does anyone have a pic of their front bearing assembly with only the auto hub removed??????

I think I am just going to go with manual hubs. I'll keep the auto hubs incase of emergency if one of the manuals breaks.

But, if anyone has a pic, it would be welcome.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The external snap ring on the stub shaft puts tension on the stub shaft/spindle seal on the back side of the spindle which will not allow water and dirt to enter at this point. Without the snap ring the axle can float back and forth and may possibly lead to a broken axle joint as well.