Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Two Tone paint style ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GruntHunter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

I have an '87 K5 that Ijust got back from repainting. The guy who painted it slightly changed the way the side color is laid out on the front fenders. It's not a big deal so I'm only curious as to which way is correct. Check the photos from before and after. I'm not the original owner and the Blazer had been repainted before (may have been from the paint recall) so I don't know how it came from the factory.

You can see where the red tape turns down just before the headlight and down to the side light marker. Now it runs straight to the headlight. I think this was done different for other year models. It probable would have been better if he had lowered the tape so it wouldn't go above the headlight because the way it is now it looks like it should run all the way across the hood also.

Any of you guys have an '87 two-tone model that can clarify this. I'm not going to repaint it, it's just a friendly discussion with the body guy :-)

MudTires_02.jpg

Blazer_01s.jpg

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

first way is the correct way

when was this paint recall? maybe i can get mine repainted for free:haha:

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

first way is correct...

5. GruntHunter

Thanks CBBR, That's just what I thought.

6. GruntHunter

Yeah muddybuddy, To bad they didn't have a recall on the recall huh? :-)

My neighbor has an '87 also. He bought his new and told me they had a recall on the paint peeling (bad clear coat I think) and he got his repainted (all grey). I don't think they did such a great job as his is getting due for a new 'skin'. I've been trying to talk him into the new 2006 dark green metallic. He has the gray interior so he could get away with it. My interior is that light blue so I didn't have any option to stick with blue so I just changed it slightly and went with all metallic paint.

7. ryoken

The recalls in that era where for "overcooked" primer...

I did TONS back in the 80's when I was painting 20 cars a week....

Our boss made the newbie kids strip em with single edge razor blades so we wouldn't have a ton of DA dust in the shop... :haha:

8. GruntHunter

ryoken, Thanks. BTW, were the headlight bezels/frames painted also? Mine are looking a little 'old' but I'm not sure what to do with them. The guy who painted it for me has the capability of painting plastic to look like chrome but I'm afraid it getting it to tacky looking. I was thinking about painting them a light gray or with the same '06 blue granite metalic that I did the sides with. Any recommendations ?

9. ryoken

The bezels are painted silver, with the chrome trim all the way around the perimeter...

I painted mine black...

Went from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

10. GruntHunter

Repaint

That's a nice looking color selection you picked out.
    Last ? What about the tape stripe. Mine had a red tape with two white or silver thin stripes on top of it but my painter wanted to change to the metalic silver tape with a single blue stripe. It's OK but I wanted to keep it somewhat stock looking. I just wish he had taped it off like it originally was but I can't justify making him do it over.

Blazer_05s.jpg

11. ryoken

Yeah, honestly, I'm not crazy about what he did there in the front... Wouldn't be too difficult to correct.. redoing the fender stripes and spotting in the dark blue on the front edge..

But anyway, as far as the factory stripe decal, it's just that.. I highly doubt you could find it... It could be replicated in tape without too much difficulty, tho using a pull out fineline and spraying it would be nicer... iirc it's actually a five stripe tape about 3/4" wide, 3 accent color with 2 body color stripes splitting them up...

I hated mine with the white inset and the decal...

I eventually changed the light gold accent in the second pic to a platinum, looks much better now.. eventually I'll ditch the dark brown and go all copper with black hardtop, bumpers, rims, visor, etc...

[​IMG]

12. muddybuddy

when was the deadline for the recall paintjob? haha mine could really use fresh paint :)

13. ryoken

haha, considering I was working there from about 85 to 89, probably just a little while ago... :wink1:

I forget the specifacs of the whole issue other than they where overcuring the primer so the topcoats wheren't etching into it well.... iirc the maroons, reds and blues where the worst...

If memory serves me right, I think Chrysler was having a similar prob at the time...

14. GruntHunter

Seems like I recall see some of the other years painted differently , sort of like the way he did mine but they may have been later years.

15. muddybuddy

i know that my dads '89 ferd 150 had terrible paint. maybe all the makers sucked at painting in the late 80's

16. GruntHunter

That's around the time they first started putting on clear coat I think. My wife's '88 Olds 88 had the same problem and we caught the recall right at the last minute. It must have been around '95/'96 time frame. Tha paints were just fading right off the cars. A lot of people didn't know about the recall and I found out just by accident.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It may not be factory correct, but it looks great. I wouldn't worry about it.

18. GruntHunter