Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

two wire from 700R4 trans. What do they do? How about TV cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jul 20, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think the wires are blue and green. My transmission seems to be slipping. Would these wires be electronic lock up torque converter or something like that? This is an 85 GMC.

2. cybrfire

Re: two wire from 700R4 trans. What do they do?

ok new thought. Try this one. There is a cable coming from the trans to the carb. I thought this was a kick down cable but I believe it to be a TV cable now. For reasons I don't want to get into, I can't hook this up yet. Could or would this cause some shifting and slipping problems? I have read discussion on the TV cable before but don't know what it does. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

3. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Re: two wire from 700R4 trans. What do they do?

If it is a TV cable, STOP DRIVING IT!!! I hear an incorrectly-adjusted (or not hooked up) TV will mess up that tranny post-haste!!!
    My understanding is that the TV cable controls line pressure in the tranny; affecting firmness of shifts, etc.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, just like what angrysnowplow said, STOP DRIVING IT!!!! The TV cable does affect line pressure, and leaving it out of adjustment, (or even unhooked in your case), will cause a premature failure of the transmission. If it is too far out of adjustment, then it can wear out the clutches in the tranny in a matter of a few miles. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif When it is hooked up, adjusting it one way will make it shift harder, and the other way will make it shift softer. It also affects when to upshift (like when yuo step on it), and when to downshift. BTW, why cant you hook it up right now???
    -Harrison
    P.S. Here is a good informative site about what the TV cable does, along with how to adjust it. TV Cable Adjustment

5. cybrfire

I stopped driving it and did a hillbilly (calm down just an expression) hookup and that was the problem. I guess I need a new TV cable as mine no longer has an end on it that can be trusted. All frayed. Thanks guys.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

No Problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison