Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TX Emission test?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXBIGFISH, Mar 19, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I found out last night that Texas was going to a dyno style emissions test. Anyone know any more about it and how hard they are to pass?
    The price is jumping from $12 to $35 to boot!

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I don't know how hard it will be to pass, but I do know that it is coming. My buddy works for the city, and they are having to buy the equipment and get trained so that they can test all of their trucks.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm in Collin Co.....gonna get my Jimmy inspected in Apr before it goes into effect.....I work in Hunt Co, so maybe I can figger a way to get it inspected there.....due in Aug right now....

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I WAS TOLD BY THE D.P.S. THAT IS WAS STILL A COUPLE OR YEARS AWAY FROM DOING IT IN AUSTIN.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This is what I heard also from about 4 inspection places in Austin. The reason is that most of the small inspection places cannot afford the dyno and all the other stuff, so they are delaying the city on the process.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I beleive only fopur counties, incl. Harris and Galveston, have to do it.
    Houston already has it, but my truck is registered to my parents address so I don't have to do it.
    -- Mike

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

YEP !!!!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From my own personal experience the dyno is not a big problem. All they are doing is simulating a 'loaded' condition as if the truck was driving down the road.

we've had the dyno tests here for about 8 years or so. Every 'fail' i've had has been on the idle test. I've never even come close to failing on the dyno. Generally here they aim for about 25 MPH and about 2000 RPM or so. If you're failing at that RPM you have some real problems to deal with.

I've found the one way my truck passes the idle test for sure is:
    1. Make sure it's in tune (kinda obvious)
    2. New oil...I change oil and filter just before testing
    3. Truck at operating temp. It runs a lot cleaner when the choke isn't half way closed /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    4. I turn my idle up to about 950 RPM. I have a mild cam and it has just enough overlap at low rpm's to fail me at 600 RPM.
    5. Last year I showed up with my 36" TSL's and they refused to dyno test it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif So they did a 'modified' idle test. Basically they held the motor at 2000 rpm until the sniffer got it's reading.

Our tests cost $24 and are once a year...retest's are also $24.

There is no strict visual here. They do pass a mirror under the truck but I've never been failed for no cats. They do not check if the motor is original or anything like Cali...

Rene

9. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Only four areas in texas require smog tests . Dallas,Tarant,Harris,and El Paso They say Austin in a couple years. All the other areas just visually check to see if all the smog equipment is still hooked up . It will be years before all the state does it since the smaller shops cannot afford the equipment . Then maybe i wont have to do them any more.

10. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Would everyone who reads this post please fill in your truck info in the bio section of your personal info. If you already have, disregard that last statement. In Tx, if your truck is 23 years old or more, it doesn't have to be inspected for emissions. Just go down to an inspection station and ask what all they check for the year of your truck. Just my $.02
    -Ben