Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tx4x4 Mega Run post-mortem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Mar 4, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all who came out to the Mega Run this year! Let's see, last year they had 22 inches of rain in the 2 weeks before the event. This year it was 50 degrees at 7am as final day registration and inspection began and 30 degrees by the driver's meeting at 9am! Let us not forget it was snowing off and on (very lightly) throughout the morning events!

First off, I am sorry to say that I didn't get any pictures. My girlfriend/photgrapher was unable to make it to the event due to the ice and snow in Dallas Saturday morning. As I was involved, participating, and running the run, I was unable to get any shots myself. Not too mention my digital camera doesn't like to operate in temperatures below 30 degrees!

We had roughly 100 competitors in the three classes. We had everything from stock Jeeps and Toyotas to some really cool dedicated trail rigs and buggies. The K5s/Jimmys were well represented as well. We had a K5/Jimmy in every class!

There was some excitement and pretty good carnage this weekend. Several rigs that were not trailered in, were trailered home. Special thanks to High Angle Driveline, Lyons Designs and Offroad Design for sponsoring the event. Lyons Designs made all the stickers. ORD donated some prizes and stickers. I am happy to say the ORD prize went to a Jimmy owner. I am also happy to report that the High Angle Drivelines gift certificate went to a Blazer owner.

From CK5, shupach had his rig "trailered" out and competed in his first competition. Did pretty good and quickly learned that big tires really need (a) horsepower and (b) any rim other than 16.5"s. He lost a bead really ansty like in the roughest part of the obstacle course. Lara (muddin4fun) decided to fire her bumper maker! She discovered that here swing away spare tire carrier decided to do just that when she hit the first bump on the obstacle course. But that's not bad. That bump also broke another blazers front axle and chewed a steering arm off an extremely tricked out Zuke. Lara also was still able to take home a trophy.

There were several dedicated mud trucks trailered to the event for the mud bogs. Guess who pulled them out? A Jimmy open front and rear sporting a 454 and 38.5s (jaybird). He is also the one that won the Mud Bog event for the Wild class and had the fastest time of the day. I am proud that my rig with only 35s came in second and sported the second fastest time. Too bad the mud got the best of Jay as his fan blades bent from the mud and chewed his radiator.

I am happy to say that I finally made it home. Mud can be really nasty on your rig. But frozen mud can be even worse. The car wash helped me unfreeze the mud in my alternator which helped my drive home. It also helped to unfreeze my emergency brake cable, front and rear brakes, and steering joints. Only carnage I suffered that has been revealed so far was from a test run as we were perpearing the mud pits. I got about 150 feet into the 200 foot pit when a Warn Premium hub let go. Chewed all the gears from the inside of the hub. Better that than the axleshaft! After replacing the hub the next morning, I came in second overall in that event. Only thing I am concerned with is I found a buckly in the sheet metal on my driver fender up by the hood. I hit a burm real hard with the drivers side of the front bumper head on. I hope the buckle came from the frame flexing slightly and not bending. I am taking the rig to the car wash tonight to clean it up some and try to find the problem.

Thanks again to all that came out. For those that didn't, keep an eye out for the coverage of the event and some of the really trick rigs in attendance in the July 2002 issue of Four Wheeler mag!

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It was a blast brian! Thanks for all the hard work you and everyone else put into it.

To add to my list:
    I think I'm out a fly wheel. I think some mud got in there and froze really good and the starter broke some teeth off /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Ah well...she drove the 300 miles back like a dream /forums/images/icons/cool.gif.

I do have some pics of some of the other's I'll get scanned in. Also some video /forums/images/icons/cool.gif.

Thanks again Brian!

3. jaybird

jaybird Registered Member

Thanks for all the hard work you put in Brian. I can only hope that next year we have more K5's and a lot less damage on my truck! We finnaly peiced it back together around 4pm on Sunday, made the drive home no ploblem.

jay

4. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

The Mega Run was awsome. Thanks to everyone who came out and competed. Next year we need some more K5's to help show up the jeeps and taco's/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.
    Jay glad to here you made it home alright. if you still want that sway bar let me know and ill bring it to the meeting tommorow night.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Glad you finally got it home. I got mine de-mudded for the most part the other night. I don't think the frame is bent or twisted, but their is definitely something not right about the drivers fender anymore. I need to get the bottom washed a bit more so I can get to the body mounts and check for damage.

I will be spending some time this weekend and next week rebuilding my front hubs and rear brake assemblies and re-greasing a BUNCH of joints. I think the frozen mud took its toll in a few places.

6. jaybird

jaybird Registered Member

That would be great Butch. I can't wait to put those dico's on.

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey All,

I just talked to Ken Brubaker last night and he said he attended this run. He mentioned some very cool K5s who sported ColoradoK5 decals. I am sure Steve appreciates that. Who attended with a silver K5 with a roof rack? I think he mentioned something about your rig being very cool. Just thought I would pass on the word.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

That was my rig. Cool. Maybe I will end up in the magazine. Everyone needs their 15 minutes of fame!

9. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Hurry Brian take your hat off before that swelling head explodes/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifLOL
    Besides my truck is alot cooler than yours.

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

hey brian, great job, i cant wait till the next one, im gonna have that little horsepower problem fixed....hehehe(i tend to do things in excess) and if all goes as planned i plan on having 500 hp and then maybe a 75-250hp adjustable NOS kit. you just wait......

phill