Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Type of plugs and wires to use if you have a big stereo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott leckie, Feb 22, 2003.

1. scott leckie

scott leckie Registered Member

I have a 1991 Blazer with a 5.7l. I want to upgrade the plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor. I also have a fairly big stereo in it. I heard that high performance parts may cause ticking and buzzing through your syereo. Can anybody give me some advice and part #'s so I can puchase the right stuff!!!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run MSD wires, cap, rotor, box, coil, etc. I don't notice anything in my stereo. I don't have a big system though. I run an Alpine 4x40 CD deck, and Kenwood factory replacement speakers. I DO notice in the CB though. The antenna picks up the RF from the wires and box and transmits it threw the CB. It is not the power source, it is actually coming threw the antenna.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

audible tach in the cb can be annoying but if you tune up the squelch it goes away, you lose range though.

4. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I'm running a Sony 50x4 MD deck going to 4 speakers (JBL GTO series) with an amp putting out about 200 watts for my 6x9's (not a huge system, but its got power flowing through it). I'm running an MSD HEI distributor, with Taylor Spiro-pro wires and champion RC-12Y (i think) plugs. Haven't had a problem yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

No noise from my Taylor Wires either and I have a small amp sitting up under the dash

6. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

From my understanding, the only times you do get problems are when you go for the non-suppressed type of lead. (generally the old copper core type.) Anything besides these and you are smiling. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have 2 amps in my truck, one kenwood 600 4 channel running the Polk DX6.5's in the rear and the 3.5" JL evolution fronts, and a MTX 8302 d class amp running my MTX 6000 sub in the rear. i run NAPA(belden)brand wires, and have no noise what so ever.