Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Types of Motor Oil, 10W-30, or 20W-50

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have a '74 Custom C20, with a 292 inline 6, I was wondering would it help if I used 20W-50 instead of 10W-30 motor oil, when I have a heavy load, would it help with cooling?

Thanks for the time
    LooksBack

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It helps if it leaks oil... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not really sure on the difference between cooling, but it is heavy duty and will hold up better under severe use. All I run in my BB is 20w-50 synthetic blend, reasonable price, works well.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure that a heavier oil weight will not help your engine run cooler, at least not significantly. The only thing a heavier weight oil will do is stay "thicker" when the engine is running warm(like high RPM off-roading or towing). FWIW, I run 15w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter.

Why do you ask? Are you having cooling issues(you shoudn't at this time of the year in MO.)?

Fill us in a little better on what's going on, brother!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i use 20w-50, helps disperse heat in the engine compartment if you doni low rpm muddin, and stuff like that, also helps if your motor is older, this is what someone told me.

5. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

No I am not haveing cooling problems, but some of the stuff I heats the motor pretty good, such as hulling fire wood, gravel and other heavy loads, and I am here in the Rocky mountians and there is alot steep grades for long distances. But it is some thing I have been wondering about if heavyer oil would help with cooling.

Thanks for the time
    LooksBack

6. 87sm465np208

also with the chevys, i know on the small block v-8's chevy put the oil pump in the back of the motor, so the front rod bearings (#1 pison) get oil last when the engine is fired up, so you put some slightly heaveier oil in it, the oil sticks to the motor better, so when you start it up, its not so dry, and such, thats really cool you have the 292 |-6, i had an old 2wd F-100 ferd with a 4 speed OD /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, with the 300ci striaght 6, i loved that motor, didnt like the trans, 2nd and od were [censored] up, and it was a stick, and it was a gehtto beater i had to rev it all the way up in 1st and shift it to 3rd, that was a pain in the ass and i regret buying that truck, but it got me to my present truck, my 4x4 chevy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like 20w-50 would work well for you then.

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When my motor started blowin a little oil past the rings I put 80-90 in the hog, purrs like a kitten /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k. I run 20-50 val max. Haven't had any problems with it thinning out when the temp gets up. I do have a little bit of a noisy lifter when I start it, im sure it doesn't help that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

20 50 is a good thick oil and it will help keep your oiul pressure up as well as stick to the engine components better.i oinly run the 10w30 in my wifes ricer.it runs better on the thin stuff.but my chevy likes the 20w50 a lot better than the thin oil.

10. 87sm465np208

thanks for the info trail king, im just glad that my uncle who was a machanic for mercedis for 10years, steered me in teh right direction by telling me to but the 20w50 in her. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I use 20-50w in my VW bus,beacuse of the performance engine. Plus I can only hold 4 qtz of oil. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Cut's down the heat also.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

no problem man.