Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

types of rod ends for suspension links...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jekbrown, Sep 23, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey Dr. Watson, Ive been reading a lot of the debate over at POR about whats best to use for 4-link suspension rod ends. What do you think about heims vs johnny joints vs poly bushings etc? Since my rig sees street miles, I dont think heims are for me... they seem to wear out pretty quick. Some peeps recommended using a johnny joint-type end at the axle and greaseable poly bushings at the frame to help keep vibes at a minimum for a streetable rig... others suggested the same setup reversed to keep the JJs out of the mud and give them a longer life... either one of those sounded like a decent idea to me, whadda you think? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am interested too.

3. jekbrown

yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I am asking about something covered here recently... i dont remember seeing a post like that but...

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cmon stephen, atleast give us a "do a search you yahoos!" or something. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Some of it depends on the loads, some link configurations and especially portal axles can put a lot more stress on the links and ends and require something stiff and strong. Same goes for link setups with triangulation problems (too narrow/not enough angle on the links), you'll need really stiff ends to keep the axle located.

If the link forces are a little lower, the urethane sphericals start coming into play and I've seen setups with all kinds of combos of ends and they all seemed to work.

It shouldn't matter which end of the link arm you put the spherical on, I'd just pick whichever end is going to be protected the most and put the spherical there.

We're also playing around with some different bushing assemblies that allow a little bit more flex but don't cost much more. Basically you use a barrel shaped bushing and you can get a little bit of free flex out of it and still be durable and cheap.

Keep in mind that the softer material will flex some so you can get a little pinion deflection, and some changes in clearances here and there. A steel spherical doesn't allow much deflection so your clearances can be tighter.

The worst case of bushing flex I've seen was a vehicle that actually rolled on the street due to the custom 3 link front end toggling over on a hard braking maneuver. There wasn't enough separation on the links and when the driver hit the brakes, the front end "flipped" and bound up. This probably woulndn't have happened with a steel joint in there so it's a good thing to keep in mind.

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There wasn't enough separation on the links and when the driver hit the brakes, the front end "flipped" and bound up. This probably woulndn't have happened with a steel joint in there so it's a good thing to keep in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or with a better designed suspenion. It might not have happened at that instant, but something catastrophic would've happened shortly I am sure, even with rod ends.

6. jekbrown

sweet! thanks much stephen for postin ur thoughts on em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif btw, in a different thread you seemed to suggest that ORD might sell 4-link rear suspension kits at some point, is that the case? if so, any wild guesses as to when they might be ready?

j

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't have a schedule on it, we're playing with several different ideas, one of them being a coilover suspension based on the linkage system we used in my K5's rear and my bro's buggy rear. Another is to use a separate coil with that same linkage, then we're looking at trying to make that system cheaper which may require different bracketry to drop the forces on the links and allow us to use a cheaper link setup.

8. jekbrown

kick azz. keep us posted Stephen, can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I want 4-link+ coilover rear, but Im not an engineer and I dont wanna screw it up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j