Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Typhoon owners?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by ntaj*ep, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of buying one any Syclone/Typhoon owners out there?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Hard to find - for a decent price anyways /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My Bro did an AWD conversion on his '93 x-cab. It's not turbo'ed, but it is a complete '98 Vortec conversion. It's got a cowl hood now, but it sure needs some wheels /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[​IMG]

3. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking of buying one any Syclone/Typhoon owners out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Syclones and Typhoons ROCK, but are impractical as all hail. They don't tow well for the power they have, and as mentioned above they aren't cheap, even for a ratty one.

That said, if you are willing to pay the price I doubt you'll be unhappy with a Sy/Ty.

If you're looking for just the performance, I agree with the above about the AWD conversion on a 4x4 truck. I had all the parts sitting in my garage to do an AWD V8 conversion on a 4x4 Blazer. I paid $1200 for a truck with a nice body, about $1400 for the V8 stuff, and another few hundred for the AWD parts. I doubt you can find the stuff that cheap if you want to do it tomorrow... It took me over a year to find all the parts that cheap. But still the AWD/V8 conversion will be cheaper and at least as fast if not more, depending on what V8 you use. Plus, I wanted the 'sleeper' approach, so I was going to leave it looking like a 4x4.

Another bit of info is that many 16", 17", and 18" Corvette/Camaro/Firebird wheels have exactly the same offset and bolt pattern as the 4x4 S-Trucks. For example, '84-'86 Vette wheels, '90-'02 Camaro/Bird wheels, etc. You can also find these cheap if you look and have cash ready.

Sal

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Aaron, I was seriously considering one for a DD (reality is I don't drive but about 5K miles a year working from home), but nonetheless they are badass.........here's a link for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One Syclone/Typhoon page

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool sight..to bad it dont work