Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Typical Gas mileage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by personaltrainer, Nov 9, 2004.

1. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

I've got a '86 Jimmy and I'm getting 8-11 MPG. 4bbl Holly, aluminum intake, cam, flowmasters.
    This sounds about right? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    thanks

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I get about the same. The best thing to do is not keep track. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I would help you out, but in the 3 yrs that I have owned my truck it has never had a speedo/odometer that worked. All I can tell you is at 8-11 I think you are getting better than me.

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Bone stock on my '72 I get 7-8, even on the freeway with the top off, totally empty. I am trying to figure out solutions to get me in the double digit area... oooh how nice just 10 mpg would be /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif- I don't ask for much.

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I'm getting around 16 with overdrive.

6. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

Cool. Looks like my mileage is about average then - not a problem. I've been at this old truck game long enough to know it's gonna be bad - just wasn't sure how bad was normal!I'm gonna take the advise and stop keeping track!

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't think about it...it only hurts! I go to the gas station about 3 times a month, sometimes more and put in 100 litre(that's all the pump will serve at once) ((we're not allowed to use gallons anymore /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)) That 100 litres costs me about £85.00 (about $153.00). I just put it on the credit card and don't think about it. If I did worry about it, I'd have to buy a Honda /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And we don't want that do we!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bone stock on my '72 I get 7-8, even on the freeway with the top off, totally empty. I am trying to figure out solutions to get me in the double digit area... oooh how nice just 10 mpg would be /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif- I don't ask for much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you guys make me feel GREAT. Im lifted kinda big and get way better then that!

9. rescuekrawler

rescuekrawler Registered Member

I only have 33's and get around 100miles to tank but it's not accurate b/c my speedo doesn't work either

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Man, you guys have it bad. Maybe it's your driving style. I am lifted about 8" and run 44's with 5.13 gears, a 4 speed, and a 350 that I built. I got right at 10 mpg when I drove it to Tellico. I get 6-8 around town.

11. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bone stock on my '72 I get 7-8, even on the freeway with the top off, totally empty.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correction: that was on one tank and i figured it was normal for me. During the last 5,000+ miles my mileage has actually been 8.73 mpg, and that is totally accurate - still bone stock with the top off, 350/th-350, 3.73. A little better /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but not much.

Any ideas to make my mileage better. I can't afford fuel injection, but i am redoing the entire ignition system with msd stuff, going to electric fans instead of belt driven fans, adding headers and dual exhaust, and hoping to put on a 650 cfm carb with an edelbrock intake. I plan to do a few roadtrips so these will probably pay for themselves before too long. I'm thinking an LS1 swap is in order in the somewhat distant future, so I don't want to go crazy with this motor, and i want things that i can swap eventually. Any Ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

SORRY 'BOUT THE HI-JACKED POST

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think a LS1 is a lot more expensive then TPI conversion (not Edlebrock FI). I wouldnt waste money on MSD stuff. Just put in a HEI. OD would help.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

12-14MPG in a TBI rig (that was before the lift, 3.08's on 32's)
    I should see in the next month or so what 6" lift, 35's and 4.56's gets /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6" 35s 3.73's 350tbi stock arround 11.

15. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

6" lift
    35's that weigh 85lbs apiece
    4.10s
    Crate 350 with 4bbl Holley
    14 mpg no OD
    With 36" swampers that 115lbs a piece, 12 mpg
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

As far as i can tell i am getting about 15 or 16 mpg.
    350 edelbrock proflow,700r4,3.73,35"mt's.

I was out wheelin two weeks ago and only used 7 gallons of gas all day. That was alot of different terrain, mud, rocks,hill climb. I was on and off the throttle alot and was expecting it to use more fuel then it did.

All in all im very pleased with the pro flow kit.
    [​IMG]