Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Typical weight difference between tandem dual and tandem single?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by PJTPW, Jul 7, 2004.

1. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

I've got a line on a 24 ft tandem dual gooseneck that is fairly cheap. I don't really need the dual wheels, and wanted to know how much weight difference there is in a tandem dual and tandem single trailer?

I know that's kind a loaded question based on construction etc, but what's a ball park estimate?

Trying to figure out if it's worth towing the extra weight / rolling mass or not.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What is the GVWR? Most tandem duals I've seen are 20,000 lbs, and pretty damn heavy empty.

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ryan don't do it.
    Trust me on this. Buy the lightest weight lowest deck trailer that you can find that will safely carry your truck. If I were you I would stay away from a deck over goose neck. Try to find one that is a low deck that you will need to drive over the fenders.

My .02

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My PJ's has removable fenders for just this purpose (well, maybe it wasnt designed for that purpose, but it does work... )

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

My 33 foot tandem dual weighed around 7k empty.

I have a 20 foot gooseneck that is alot easier to pull.
    I think it weighs around 2200.

It really depends on what your wanting to hual with it & where you want to take it.

After having both & if I only need to haul one at a time, I much prefer the 20 foot tandem axle single wheel.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    After having both & if I only need to haul one at a time, I much prefer the 20 foot tandem axle single wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I got, its a bumper pull but she pulls awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Probably going to be more to the weight difference than just the axles because a trailer with 10k axles will more than likely have a stouter frame...

go to dexter trailer axles website and look at the shipping weights on the axles, that may help.

John

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a trailer built to 20k specs with 14k axles so I can pull it without a class A license... It weighs 4460 empty. I won't ever pull another tag style trailer again, gooseneck deck over all the way!!!