Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tyre (tire) pressures!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Andrew, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

I live near Oxford England and have just bought a (tired) '79 Cheyenne 350 4x4. Ok, so the body's a bit thin in places, shes only running on 7, 'park' doesn't work on the tranny but all this is a challenge for the months (years?) to come! Glad I found the site for support and inspiration. To start with, what pressures should I be running the road-pattern 31/1050/15 tires at ? Theres no stickers on the car and the Chilton manual dosent list any. 2./ The manual states that the plugs should be R45TS- I assume these are Delco which we dont get here- is there a Bosch or Champion equivalent? 3/ There is a lot of valve gear noise - I assume the lifters are hydraulic- are they easy to change in situ (this may be contributing to my misfire!! I'll be starting off with a compression check this weekend)
    Thanx for any help, Kind regards Andrew Newman
    Hopefully my Bowtie will soon have a strong ' heartbeat in the UK'

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

35 is typically a safe pressure to run in "normal" driving situations, for almost all car/light truck tires. Manufacturers max pressure should be molded into the side of the tire, so don't exceed that, but generally, max tire pressure equals the best economy, with some wear penalty, while lower pressure is sometimes good off-road. Inside the drivers door frame is *supposed* to be a sticker that has tire PSI IIRC, but thats usually gone.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

First off, welcome to CK5! I also think that 35 psi is a good street pressure and yes, Bosch and Champion make plugs for your truck I just don't know the part numbers off the top of my head. Good Luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I run my 31x10.5"s at 32 psi all around and it seems to be the best for the wear pattern on my truck, like the guys said, try 35 and lower it a bit if the tires try to wear in the middle of the tread. If you cant get the AC Delco plugs, then I'd go with the Bosch platinums, I'm running these and they seem to stay cleaner. Changing the lifters isnt too hard, you have to pull the valve covers and manifold, loosen the rocker arms and pull the pushrods, then swap lifters, put the pushrods back in, set the valve lash then put the manifold and valve covers back on. Good luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

The best pressure for 31x10.50R15 (li109) is 2,3 bar (33.5 psi) in front and 2 bar (29 psi) in the back.
    For the spark plugs of AC, you can take as a substitute:
    - NGK BPR 4 FS
    - Autolite 26
    - Autolite 27
    - Bosch HR9B
    - Bosch HR9BC
    - Bosch HR10B
    - Bosch HR10BC
    - Champion RBL15Y
    - Champion RBL16Y
    - Champion RBL17Y
    - EYQEM 500JS
    - Motorcraft ASF52
    - Nippon Denso T14PR-U
    - Prestolite 14F52

6. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

Many thanks chaps for all the info; Especially Rene with all the plug types! Appreciate the help- daresay I'll be back for more.
    Regards, Andrew.